1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 23:094 edits

Game 2378474

Apart from the fact that if you replay the moves at the end back fast enough you feel like you're watching an episode of Benny Hill, I am gutted that this ended in Stalemate. There was obviously a mate there to be had - I actually had it down in my notes as a mate in three although my engine afterwards tells me it was in fact a mate in eleven 🙂

My plan, which didn't involve playing h7 at the end 🙁 was meant to be...

72. Nf5 Kg8 73. Nd5 Kh8 74. Nf7++

Although I saw afterwards this wasn't forced, in order to avoid it, Black would have been forced to play 73...Kf8 which would have promoted my pawn.

Damn it.

What makes it more frustrating is that my opponent turned down an offer of a draw on move 39 so I was quite determined to win 🙂
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 23:331 edit
    Originally posted by Chris
    Game 2378474

Apart from the fact that if you replay the moves at the end back fast enough you feel like you're watching an episode of Benny Hill, I am gutted that this ended in Stalemate. There was obviously a mate there to be had - I actually had it down in my notes as a mate in three although my engine hat my opponent turned down an offer of a draw on move 39 so I was quite determined to win 🙂[/b]
    At the end, all you had to do is just put your N on f7, which forces him out of the corner so that the pawn can promote. There's no need to calculate a forced mate, and no real risk of stalemate (with wP on h6, that is!).
  3. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 01:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    At the end, all you had to do is just put your N on f7, which forces him out of the corner so that the pawn can promote. There's no need to calculate a forced mate, and no real risk of stalemate (with wP on h6, that is!).
    Yes - it was painful. I had been so careful for so many moves and then a moment of madness saw me push the pawn forward to h7 even though I already knew that this resulted in stalemate and that I could force the pawn promotion.
  4. washington
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 02:04
    Starting from move 69 your move. Should have been 69. Nf5 Kh8 70.Kg6 Kg8 71. Nh6 Kh8 72. Kg8 h6 Kf8 h7 1-0

69.Nf5 Kg8 70. Kg6 Kh8 71. Nd6 Kg8 72.h6 Kh8 73. h7

when dealing with pawns and marching them down try and get your king ahead of the pawn. then drive it down the board. if you havea bishop of the same color it will promote on then use it to check the king out of the corner. if you have a knight waste a move if you can with a pawn move and then check him in the corner. you live and you learn theres always something to learn about the game just make sure next time that doesn't happen.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 02:16
    Dont worry.... Think about the good part... you have learned a good leason... " This mistake will never happen again " all the best !!!
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 11:501 edit
    When in that type of position look for the easiet win, not the quickest mate.....

The trick is, not to allow a stalemate defence, you can do this by preventing the Black king getting to h8.

72. h7 only draws.

instead: -

72. Nf3 Kh8 [Kf8?? h7] Ne5 Kg8 Nf7 Kf8 h7 1-0
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 15:39
    Even GMs can mess up a won game and have to settle for a draw or even lose a won game.
  8. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 16:22
    In more simple terms it is probably helpful if you already know the rook pawn+K vs K is a drawn endgame. The earlier you realize this in the game, the more time you have to prepare what you will do with your extra piece (the knight) to make sure it doesn't end as a draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree