Quote:
    "I would expect someone's ICC standard to be higher than their OTB
    as a general rule."

I agree. A lot of OTB (OVER THE BOARD) games under 2000 are decided
    by a silly blunder or a two move trick.
    Having time to look to study in a relaxed enviroment should produce
    less blunders.
    However then style and patience come into play - OTB gamblers
    (sac for dodgy compensation) like me will get found out.

Well done. $400 - Post your best win.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 18:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I would expect someone's ICC standard to be higher than their OTB as a general rule. Let's face it; it takes a lot more dedication to pony up cash for entry fees and travel expenses and to give up a whole weekend to play in an OTB tourney than it does to turn on a computer in your den for a few hours. My belief is that OTB players are more serious player ...[text shortened]... s videos on ICC discussing the Smith-Morra. The guy is tiny (maybe 5'2"😉 and looks about 15.
    If you didn't know this no1, Lenderman is also the best dancer on the planet.

YouTube

YouTube

Dude gets lite.
  3. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 18:41
    After three years of struggling with time problems, a too easy attitude with giving draws in superior positions and in general a disappointing 1500ish rating in OTB, it finally came together in this year's New York State Championship. 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 rounds (though I missed an absolute winning move in one of the draws) gave me a joint share of 2n ...[text shortened]... and hopefully another big one before the year is through. Maybe I'll see ya on the board.
    Congratulations!
    I should try an OTB tournament as well. See how I would perform with a ticking clock.
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 19:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Quote:
    as a general rule."

less blunders.
    However then style and patience come into play - OTB gamblers ...[text shortened]... for dodgy compensation) like me will get found out.

For me it is the other way. I always do everything best when I am in stresfull situation whenever it is university exam, playing instrument in front of 700 people or playing in front of audience. On net I just can not find the right motivation / stress, will to win.
  5. Hollow earth
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 20:09
    Good job marauder.

On the comparing of your various ratings:I don't think there's any general rule,it's different for everyone.Any benefit one has over another also has a drawback.For instance,at home you're probably more relaxed than in a tournament hall but also more easily distracted.Or you're like Ivan and you need stress to perform well.Or you're like me (and I suspect many others around here) and you sometimes play toughtful moves on rhp and sometimes blitz a few moves.There's also a difference in player pools.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 21:19
    I would expect someone's ICC standard to be higher than their OTB as a general rule. Let's face it; it takes a lot more dedication to pony up cash for entry fees and travel expenses and to give up a whole weekend to play in an OTB tourney than it does to turn on a computer in your den for a few hours. My belief is that OTB players are more serious player ...[text shortened]... s videos on ICC discussing the Smith-Morra. The guy is tiny (maybe 5'2"😉 and looks about 15.
    There is also the simple fact that you are likely to play many more rated games online than OTB.

Glad the book suggestion was useful and congratulations on your achievement.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 23:183 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Quote:
    as a general rule."

less blunders.
    However then style and patience come into play - OTB gamblers ...[text shortened]... for dodgy compensation) like me will get found out.

Not sure whether it's my "best", but this is the last round game that clinched the tie for second. Both of us went in with 4 points out of 5, though I think he had a loss:

[Event "NYS Championship - Rd#6"]
    [Site "Albany, NY"]
    [Date "2008.09.01"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "no1"]
    [Black "Matt Slomski"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "A05"]
    [PlyCount "71"]
    [EventDate "2008.09.01"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. c3 Bg7 4. d3 Nc6 5. g3 d6 6. Bg2 Nf6 7. O-O O-O 8. Nbd2
    Rb8 9. Rb1 Be6 10. a3 Nd7 11. Ng5 b5 12. Nxe6 fxe6 13. f4 a5 14. e5 Qc7 15.
    exd6 exd6 16. Ne4 d5 17. Ng5 Rbe8 18. Nxe6 Rxe6 19. Bxd5 Qd6 20. Bxe6+ Qxe6 21.
    Re1 Qd5 22. Qe2 Kh8 23. Bd2 b4 24. Qe4 Qd6 25. Re3 Nf6 26. Qe6 Qc7 27. axb4
    axb4 28. Ree1 Qb6 29. Be3 Re8 30. Qd6 Rxe3 31. Rxe3 bxc3 32. Rbe1 cxb2 33. Re8+
    Ng8 34. Rxg8+ Kxg8 35. Re8+ Kf7 36. Qe6# 1-0
  8. e4
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 23:322 edits

Nice last round game. You went for it and Caissa favours the brave.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 01:34
    That was an interesting game for sure. I have to say after seeing a picture of no1, he looks much nicer than I pictured in my head. I can totally picture him over the board too. It's very weird to see a picture of someone you've never seen before but have interacted with for a period of time. 😀
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 05:48
    I agree with no.1 about the fact that otb players are alot better at the same rating I also got back from the northern californian state championship finishing second in the B (1600-1800) section.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 06:241 edit
    Congrats No1. I recall feeling pretty good when I went from being a 1400s USCF player to being a 1500s. Seems like ages ago, as I've been over 1600 for three years, and over 1700 twice in that time. Each bump takes a lot of work--less for youth who lack bad habits needing correction--and often some sort of change in approach to the game.

$400 is a good excuse to buy some chess books or software.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 06:27
    After three years of struggling with time problems, a too easy attitude with giving draws in superior positions and in general a disappointing 1500ish rating in OTB, it finally came together in this year's New York State Championship. 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 rounds (though I missed an absolute winning move in one of the draws) gave me a joint share of 2n ...[text shortened]... and hopefully another big one before the year is through. Maybe I'll see ya on the board.
    Congrats! 😀
  13. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 06:51
    Originally posted by gambit05
    Congratulations!
    I should try an OTB tournament as well. See how I would perform with a ticking clock.
    Yes - someone rated nearly 2200 on here has a moral duty to play at least some chess in the flesh 😉
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 12:44
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    That was an interesting game for sure. I have to say after seeing a picture of no1, he looks much nicer than I pictured in my head. I can totally picture him over the board too. It's very weird to see a picture of someone you've never seen before but have interacted with for a period of time. 😀
    Where is there a picture of me?
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 13:151 edit
    Where is there a picture of me?
    Yeah, please post a link.

Congrats by the way and good luck in your next tourney.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree