1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 13:00
    After three years of struggling with time problems, a too easy attitude with giving draws in superior positions and in general a disappointing 1500ish rating in OTB, it finally came together in this year's New York State Championship. 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 rounds (though I missed an absolute winning move in one of the draws) gave me a joint share of 2nd place in the U1600, a performance rating of close to 1700 and a jump in rating from 1472 to 1550 (and $400 in prize money). I really feel I've turned a corner.

I'd like to thank those here who have helped me with suggestions esp. regarding ways of dealing with time pressure. Kepler's suggestion of Soltis' book How to Choose a Chess Move was a really great aid.

Hoping to play in more tournaments and hopefully another big one before the year is through. Maybe I'll see ya on the board.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 13:01
    Congratulations. 😀
  3. In the ****
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 13:04
    Well done!

🙄
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 14:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    After three years of struggling with time problems, a too easy attitude with giving draws in superior positions and in general a disappointing 1500ish rating in OTB, it finally came together in this year's New York State Championship. 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 rounds (though I missed an absolute winning move in one of the draws) gave me a joint share of 2n ...[text shortened]... and hopefully another big one before the year is through. Maybe I'll see ya on the board.
    What is OTB?

P-
  5. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:071 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    What is OTB?

P-
    If you had read Thread 99264, you would know that it means On The Biffy, Off Track Betting, and a few other combinations of words.

Well done no1. 🙂
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:23
    Originally posted by MrHand
    If you had read Thread 99264, you would know that it means On The Biffy, Off Track Betting, and a few other combinations of words.

Well done no1. 🙂
    and if you had been here longer, you'd know what phlabs was referring to. 🙂

congrats no1!
  7. Right Here!!!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:24
    After three years of struggling with time problems, a too easy attitude with giving draws in superior positions and in general a disappointing 1500ish rating in OTB, it finally came together in this year's New York State Championship. 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 rounds (though I missed an absolute winning move in one of the draws) gave me a joint share of 2n ...[text shortened]... and hopefully another big one before the year is through. Maybe I'll see ya on the board.
    Congratulations!!! 🙂
  8. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:31
    Glad to hear a story of hard work paying off. Way to go.
  9. Joined
    19 Jul '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:45
    Well done no.1.

I live in a state of time trouble on ICC. You say Soltis' book helped with your time trouble? I may try it. thanks for the tip.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:53
    What is your rating on FICS, ICC, Playchess? I struggle to understand how you can be 1400-1500 OTB and what and you are here.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 15:59
    Originally posted by Jie
    What is your rating on FICS, ICC, Playchess? I struggle to understand how you can be 1400-1500 OTB and what and you are here.
    Uh... gee... maybe it's that here there's no TIME PRESSURE, which he explained is his biggest problem.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 17:38
    Originally posted by Jie
    FICS - 1840 (about 60 games)
    ICC - 1604 (all 10-30 minute games - small sample 11 games)
    Playchess - 1780 (first account - games of 45 minutes or more about 50 games) - 1643 (second account after first closed - 10-30 minute games - about 10)

The reasons given above + I believe OTB players are much better players at the same rating.
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 17:46
    I am the exact opposite. My OTB rating is comparable to my rating here, maybe I am slightly stronger OTB, but my ICC rating is not even close. My standard ICC rating is about 2200, and has extended as high as 2350.
  14. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 17:581 edit
    I agree, I have broken 2100 on here but have mostly struggled to draw with players of that level or higher in real life.

P.S. Well done on that tournament marauder - I will have to work even harder against you when we play in the championship final round.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '08 18:05
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I am the exact opposite. My OTB rating is comparable to my rating here, maybe I am slightly stronger OTB, but my ICC rating is not even close. My standard ICC rating is about 2200, and has extended as high as 2350.
    I would expect someone's ICC standard to be higher than their OTB as a general rule. Let's face it; it takes a lot more dedication to pony up cash for entry fees and travel expenses and to give up a whole weekend to play in an OTB tourney than it does to turn on a computer in your den for a few hours. My belief is that OTB players are more serious players at the same rating.

BTW Alex Lenderman finished tied for 1st in the Open section; I just watched one of his videos on ICC discussing the Smith-Morra. The guy is tiny (maybe 5'2"😉 and looks about 15.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree