1. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 19:36
    Been on here for 2 months about, figured one would happen eventually. Doesn't make it any better.

Game 9602057

So, I'm sure there are other blunders out there. So post your favorite blunder. Not just a game you messed up overall, but a single move that was just like, dang it! and you resigned from there.

A 5 second recall after hitting submit would be nice too. lol
  2. In attack
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 21:19
    I would have at least waited till they moved before resigning, if you missed it, they might have too 😉

Here's one of mine against a friend who I play regularly to improve his chess. Sometimes, just sometimes, I mess up big time
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 22:324 edits
    Here's a really hideous blunder I made not long ago.

Ugh, I really hate this PGN viewer. It quits scrolling through the moves after move 18, and I can't get the comment for 20.Rf4 to show up no matter what I do.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 22:41
    Originally posted by morgski
    I would have at least waited till they moved before resigning, if you missed it, they might have too 😉

Here's one of mine against a friend who I play regularly to improve his chess. Sometimes, just sometimes, I mess up big time
    [pgn][Event "Challenge"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2012.03.27"] [EndDate "2012.04.13"] [Round "?"] [White "RX8" ...[text shortened]... 7. Qd1c2 {not sure why I played on this far to be honest} 1-0[/pgn]
    True, but after I saw it I figured they would and just thought I'd gracefully throw the towel in-it wasn't a clan or important tournament game luckily. Trapping your own queen with your own piece...ouch. lol
  5. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:05
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 00:30
    Here's arguably my worst blunder, although I have [regrettably] made a few other howlers.

I played as black, so might be best to invert board

The game actually lasted 36 moves...
    I am still yet to know when it is best,
    or the most proper (polite) time to resign a losing game.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 00:48
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Here's arguably my worst blunder, although I have [regrettably] made a few other howlers.

I played as black, so might be best to invert board

[pgn][Event "Open invite"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2012.09.17"] [EndDate "2012.09.24"] [Round "?"] [White "imaginary"] [Black "64squaresofpain"] [WhiteRating "1364"] [BlackRating "1372"] ...[text shortened]... is best,
    or the most proper (polite) time to resign a losing game.
    Somewhere around move 11🙂 Playing on gives the impression you don't respect the other players ability to win when you are 9 or so points down.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 01:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Somewhere around move 11🙂 Playing on gives the impression you don't respect the other players ability to win when you are 9 or so points down.
    Yeah, I guess I just don't like seeing games finish too soon...

Perhaps I'm just stubborn lol
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 01:14
    Yeah, I guess I just don't like seeing games finish too soon...

Perhaps I'm just stubborn lol
    Take a look at this game won by David Tebb, now in the 2400's:

White resigned at move 22:

10. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 01:42
    There wasn't a real blunder in that game though right?

Maybe white moved a few times without conviction, therefore losing the positional battle, but not a solid blunder like the ones we often mean...

Having said that, how can one solidly define a blunder in chess?
    I've been in at least 2 different games where I 'blundered'... but happened to come out of the situation better,
    either by trapping the attacking piece or being able to have a good pin/fork soon afterwards
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 19:58
    There wasn't a real blunder in that game though right?

Maybe white moved a few times without conviction, therefore losing the positional battle, but not a solid blunder like the ones we often mean...

Having said that, how can one solidly define a blunder in chess?
    I've been in at least 2 different games where I 'blundered'... but happened to c ...[text shortened]... either by trapping the attacking piece or being able to have a good pin/fork soon afterwards
    Its all perspective. The stronger you get things that seemed like small mistakes start seeming like blunders especially when you start being able to see exactly how your opponent is going to take you down for what some would think was a "small" slip. The good news is that nobodies perfect and an equal strength opponent is just as likely as you to play a howler.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 17:55
    I love blunders, it's the only way I win!
  13. In attack
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 18:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I love blunders, it's the only way I win!
    I could be argued quite convincingly that that is the only way any of us win... 🙂
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 19:30
    Originally posted by morgski
    I could be argued quite convincingly that that is the only way any of us win... 🙂
    Except some smart arse might come along and point out that you can win on time. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree