1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:26
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm poor loser. Something about losing at chess that drives me absolutely mad. If I lose at cards I can care less, it's all in good fun. But there's something about losing a chess match that I tend to take personal.

Playing online I've actually made mild, but snide remarks when I make a major blunder. It's horrible sportsmanship and I'm going t ...[text shortened]... ose, but sometimes I don't know what comes over me.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
    Your "issue" with temper and chess is pretty common. A key question is: How do you use your anger? Do you channel it into further study and a commitment to improve? or Do you just stay mad?
  2. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 21:26
    I'm poor loser.
    This factoid is already conveyed to the audience by your avatar, no need use words.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 08:38
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    This factoid is already conveyed to the audience by your avatar, no need use words.
    I'm not following. What have I lost in relation to Glenn Beck?
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 12:16
    If I ever do get a bit miffed it is never at my opponent but at myself.That goes for chess or any sport.
    I can't even fathom the mind set to be angry at my opponent for beating me out fair and square in any form of competition.
    Racing,arm wrestling,boxing,chess,you name it.
    All it tells me is I was unprepared or simply outclassed.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '09
    Moves
    26 May '10 19:22
    I'm poor loser. Something about losing at chess that drives me absolutely mad. If I lose at cards I can care less, it's all in good fun. But there's something about losing a chess match that I tend to take personal.

Playing online I've actually made mild, but snide remarks when I make a major blunder. It's horrible sportsmanship and I'm going t ...[text shortened]... ose, but sometimes I don't know what comes over me.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
    I think it was Rubinstein who stood on his chair during a tournament game and cried, "Why must I lose to this idiot?"

And Alekhine, when the adjournment envelope was opened to reveal that his opponent had sealed a winning move, resigned with his usual grace: he threw his king across the room.

As long as you don't do stuff like that....
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '09
    Moves
    26 May '10 19:28
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't think you need to beat yourself up for getting mad for losing a game of internet chess - unless you move from yelling at the screen to actually typing insults.

the reason poker is so profitable compared to chess is that players can make the same mistakes over and over and be able to pass it off as bad luck.
    That's also true of backgammon, which is why one writer called it "The Cruelest Game." It lends itself to self deception.
  7. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    27 May '10 18:15
    I went into my first OTB tournament with the attitude that I was going to rack up a lot of points and show everyone what a prodigy I was. Unfortunately, I blundered my way out of a won position during my first game. I was so angry that I wasn't able to think objectively for the rest of the day, and I paid for it by getting no points out of four games..

No I go into games with a different attitude, where a loss in a sense is a valuable learning opportunity because I get to see what aspects of my game I need to work on. I want to see the flaws in my ideas so I can eliminate them.
  8. Mililani, Hawaii
    Moves
    29 May '10 03:29
    Thanks, Thabtos! You have really given me a great way to take the hurting edge off losing a game in chess. It's actually a discovery, a way to strengthen a weakness in playing chess, a way to move on to playing better chess and enjoying it more. Kind of like making lemonade when you've produced a lemon. Aloha, Vincent
  9. e4
    Moves
    29 May '10 13:001 edit
    It was Nimzovitch who screamed.

"Why must I lose to this IDIOT!?"

This apparently has been stated by the idiot in question, one Friedrich Samisch.

I'm not 100% convinced it happened. Chess is full of myths, this one has
    so many different versions, it may have been Nimzovitch simply saying;

"I felt like jumping on the table and shouting ""Why must I lose to this idiot?"

Anyway here is the game that apparently caused Nimzovitch to vent.

Nimzo the 'table top dancer' is Black.
    It does look lke a grudged delayed resination.
    Though playing on to be shown the win was not uncommon in them days.

10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 May '10 13:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [Nimzo the 'table top dancer' is Black.
    It does look lke a grudged delayed resination.
    Though playing on to be shown the win was not uncommon in them days.
    It's possible that Saemisch may have been short of time- I read somewhere that he was chronically in time pressure.
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    29 May '10 20:26
    Scher Greenpawn,

You are a detriment to my chess improvement as you have made me want to break out my copy of Chess Praxis and play through some games instead of doing tactical puzzles!

For everyone who hasn't read it, you should. There are some beautiful games there, very wittily annotated.
  12. e4
    Moves
    30 May '10 02:45
    Tartakower, Nimzovitch and a properly translated Tarrasch could
    be quite witty and instructive when they wanted to be.
    Especially Tartakower.

Know a good player who this thinks 'Praxis' is the only book one
    needs to read to become a failry resaonable player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree