1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 02:204 edits
    For me anyway. Usually I have a very tough time against players in the 1500's and 1600+ is out of the question. It was blitz, and an obvious blunder so not exactly a great strategic or tactical victory, but it's a new milestone nonetheless. He's rated 1676.

Today I watched a couple short youtube videos explaining the French Defense, and I actually think it helped a lot. It's a short game that ended in resignation, so there's probably not a whole lot to note.

My hope (more like prayer) was that he would shift is rook over one square so I can move my queen up the diagonal and fork checkmate.

I'm actually surprised he resigned so quickly. Considering the difference of our ratings I think he still could have made a game out of it. But he might not have known I'm a 1400's player.

[Event "RHP Blitz rated"]
    [Site "www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2010.6.8"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "USArmyParatrooper"]
    [Black "fzxtchr"]
    [Result "1-0"]

2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 02:311 edit
    One more note - I freely traded away my white bishop because it appeared to me it was about to be locked in and become a bad bishop. Was checking him for the trade a sound move?

Edit: Another question. I'm wondering why he so freely traded away his black bishop for my knight. From the brief clips I watched I thought black's black bishop is key to help his c-pawn add pressure.
  3. e4
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 02:523 edits
    And you have learned how to post a game! - Well Done. 😉

Not much one say it over before it began.
    12...f6? was a baddie.

I'd give double thoughts about Bb5+ v The French.
    Don't dismiss it - check all checks.

But v the French the White squared Bishop is gold dust
    whilst the Black Queen's Bishop is a lump of cold rock.

So Bb5+ gives Black a chance to swap of his worse piece
    for your best piece.

The Milner-Barry trap (I've caught loads with this) is the one of the
    exceptions when Bb5+ is the root of all evil.

(note the in-between-move 10.Bxd7 check
    don't just grab the Queen sit on your hands or in this case
    let go of your mouse).

4. e4
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 03:05
    Ha - we posted at the same time.

In the BB5 line (the Winawer) Black usually waits till White forces
    him to take on c3.

As an footnote to that Milner Barry trap.

joser v Luath Game 5735923

White to play here...

...he missed it and played 9.0-0?

Though he did go onto to win, funnily enough taking on e6 as you did
    in your game.
  5. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 02:312 edits
    It has long been established theory that those doubled pawns on the c file are not a liability for white in the Winnawer.

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    One more note - I freely traded away my white bishop because it appeared to me it was about to be locked in and become a bad bishop. Was checking him for the trade a sound move?

I don't think so. Your bishop may have become bad, but the second that he decided to play the French, deciding what to do with his white bishop became one of his main problems.

My pet advance line tries to do away with the albatross as soon as possible:

1e4 e5 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Bd7 5.Nf3 a6 6.Be2 cxd4 7. cxd4 Bb5

All that trouble, just to rid myself of the bishop.

White voluntarily exchanging white bishops is a boon for black, as it resolves one of the main difficulties of the opening for him.
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '10
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 04:43
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt🙄😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree