I lost as black

I lost as black

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
19 Jan 07
4 edits

What would you do?

Black to move, the last move was 1. Kg1

Edit: I cant see the pieces can you?

2Edit:ok there was a problem with FEN

i

Sydney

Moves
19 Jan 07
2 edits

moving the rook anywhere back further than the 3rd rank on the h file (not taking the pawn obviously) wins for black

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by idioms
moving the rook anywhere back further than the 3rd rank on the h file wins for black
Is There any logic on why further than the 3rd rank?

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by Superman
Is There any logic on why further than the 3rd rank?
ok I think its because of a posible check after advancing the e pawn, am i rigth?

Earl of Rochester

Restoration London

Moves
19 Jan 07
1 edit

ok I think its because of a posible check after advancing the e pawn, am i rigth?
Keep the white pawn pinned, then methocically advance the black pawns forward protected by the King. White cannot act with the rook effectivly without loosing the pawn.

How did you loose, do you have a reference for this game?

d

1. e4!!

Moves
19 Jan 07
1 edit

Draw? 1. ... Rc2 2. h8=Q Rc1+ 3. Kh2 Rc2+ Rinse and repeat.

EDIT: Never mind I'm an idiot.

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by EAPOE
Keep the white pawn pinned, then methocically advance the black pawns forward protected by the King. White cannot act with the rook effectivly without loosing the pawn.

How did you loose, do you have a reference for this game?
I Didnt anotate the game, but it was an e4 e5 very fougth game, I lost one pawn in the oppening and managed to get to this ending, in the position abobe I played 1.... Rg2+ 2. Kh1 And now I am not able to stop the pawn, dont ask me what I was thinking I know it was bad.

i

Sydney

Moves
19 Jan 07
1 edit

yes thats right, pinning the rook and losing the game

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
19 Jan 07

Originally posted by idioms
yes thats right, pinning the rook and losing the game
If only we had the analyse board option enebled in OTB chess, I will have to install it in my brain!!!

T

Moves
19 Jan 07

Rg2+ wins no matter how white responds to it.

T

Moves
19 Jan 07
1 edit

I Didnt anotate the game, but it was an e4 e5 very fougth game, I lost one pawn in the oppening and managed to get to this ending, in the position abobe I played 1.... Rg2+ 2. Kh1 And now I am not able to stop the pawn, dont ask me what I was thinking I know it was bad.
Rg2+ wins. Especially if he went to h1???

after, push your pawn and its game over. THe move after he promotes its checkmate...

1. ...Rg2+
2. Kh1 ...e3-e2
3. h7-h8 (promotes) ...e2-e1++

i

Sydney

Moves
19 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Teshuvah
Rg2+ wins. Especially if he went to h1???

after, push your pawn and its game over. THe move after he promotes its checkmate...

1. ...Rg2+
2. Kh1 ...e3-e2
3. h7-h8 (promotes) ...e2-e1++
Actually after Rg2+ Kh1 the best that black can hope for is a draw and he is probably lost .. what should black do after e2? .. let me give you a hint .. its not promoting his own pawn ..

I wouldn't feel bad superman the position isn't trivial ..

T

Moves
19 Jan 07

I see it now.

Thats just how I play my games too! lol...

g

Kalamazoo, MI

Moves
19 Jan 07

When you get into a position like this it is best not to make hasty moves. Work out the lines on paper. I don't see this in your games list. Was this corr, otb, blitz? I can surely see why Rg2+ would look good if you had to make a quick decision. Look at it this way however. Moving your rook anywhere from h3-h6 can't lose. Sometimes it is better to make a waiting move if it doesn't worsen your position. Of course if you're in time trouble you do what you can!

Good lesson learned for the future. With your connected pawns and his king on the other side of the board he has no threats as long as you keep his single pawn covered.

S

Moves
19 Jan 07

Rg2+ loses!

Rg2+ Kh1 e2?? Re7!

instead black should play Rh6 or Rh5