1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 16:12
    This guy: User 483530 played in my local congress last weekend and finished near the bottom of the third (out of four) section: http://kidlingtonchess.org.uk/?page_id=115

I wish I'd known he had entered as I would have made a point of congratulating him on his excellent performance in games played on RHP. However I may be able to get hold of the score of some his games and if I do I'll post them here.
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 16:19
    The guy playing here could have "borrowed" the name. Or did he post and claimed to be the real article?
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 19:321 edit
    I know the guy too. It's him. He - after some evasion - confirmed it was him playing here. He claimed he was giving up for some reason or other. Can't remember what it was. Something about being busy or some such. For some reason he became rather less forthcoming when he was banned here (and another site) and I asked him about that.

He was my county captain at the time. Given that he had been less than frank with me I felt I could not play under him.

(edit: forgot to point out above

1: my contact with him was via email
    2: I discovered later that I had played him OTB a few years before. We drew.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 01:11
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    This guy: User 483530 played in my local congress last weekend and finished near the bottom of the third (out of four) section: http://kidlingtonchess.org.uk/?page_id=115

I wish I'd known he had entered as I would have made a point of congratulating him on his excellent performance in games played on RHP. However I may be able to get hold of the score of some his games and if I do I'll post them here.
    Maybe he was lost without an analysis set and some notes.
  5. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 14:00
    He's obviously a pawn or two short of a full set. Fancy playing under your own (easily tracked) name, then cheating. When I queried his 'precision', he claimed his accuracy was down to having a chess set in every room. Presumably he generated explanations like this in the smallest of them
  6. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 14:21
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

Well I can (sort of) trump that in that I played in the same section and finished mid table. I didn't play our man though.

So, while we are waiting for any games to turn up here's an amusing finish I witnessed in the same section during the final time scramble. The position may not be exactly as it was on the board but the necessary elements are correct. (Again not our man.)

What White missed...
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 14:43
    I wonder how much cheating in online chess affects your ability to play over the board? I'd imagine that if you get in the habit of letting an engine do your tactical work for you then your chess brain must atrophy after a while!
  8. e4
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 15:51
    Hi Ragwort

Smashing posted examples of a missed win truning into a loss.
    Looks like a typical TT blunder.

Hi Fat Lady.
    I don't know if net cheating would affect your tactical abilty. A good player
    should be able to spot the tactical shots. It's the lead up play that a player
    over time may lose OTB confidence in.
  9. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 19:331 edit
    I analysed this guy over at chess.com.
    20 most recently completed games vs chess.com 2200+ rateds, all with 20+ non-database moves.
    Result:
    awaldock (20 games)
    Top 1 Match: 528/783 ( 67.4% )
    Top 2 Match: 662/783 ( 84.5% )
    Top 3 Match: 725/783 ( 92.6% )
    He was banned about 10 days after I submitted the analysis.

Interestingly, another guy from the same local club also played at chess.com & was similarly highly rated with hardly any losses & draws etc etc.
    Analysed in the same way, he also got banned soon after submitting analysis:
    Henk_Van_Oosten (20 games)
    Top 1 Match: 648/902 ( 71.8% )
    Top 2 Match: 808/902 ( 89.6% )
    Top 3 Match: 859/902 ( 95.2% )

Not the brightest pair!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 19:453 edits
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    I analysed this guy over at chess.com.
    20 most recently completed games vs chess.com 2200+ rateds, all with 20+ non-database moves.
    Result:
    awaldock (20 games)
    Top 1 Match: 528/783 ( 67.4% )
    Top 2 Match: 662/783 ( 84.5% )
    Top 3 Match: 725/783 ( 92.6% )
    He was banned about 10 days after I submitted the analysis.

Interestingly, another guy from the ...[text shortened]...
    Top 2 Match: 808/902 ( 89.6% )
    Top 3 Match: 859/902 ( 95.2% )

Not the brightest pair!
    ten days and banned, awesome.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 19:372 edits
    Originally posted by atticus2
    He's obviously a pawn or two short of a full set. Fancy playing under your own (easily tracked) name, then cheating. When I queried his 'precision', he claimed his accuracy was down to having a chess set in every room. Presumably he generated explanations like this in the smallest of them
    I reported my reasons for not playing under him to my Couny association. Unfortunately they allowed him to resign his position without explanation.

It was, of course, entirely spineless of him not to acknowledge what he had been doing. I can understand why the County felt it was best just to leave it at that, but my feeling was (and is) that they missed an opportunity to lay down a clear marker about what is and is not ethically acceptable.

At the very least they should have removed him from his position for failing to provide any account of why and how he managed to get himself banned from multiple correspondence sites.
  12. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 19:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ten days and banned, awesome.
    I took considerably longer than that here.

Mind you, if we look around, that's not surprising.
  13. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 19:57
    I am not really wishing to get banned, because that is dishonest, but I like to quit here. However, admins don't seem to react to my request to cancel my subscription. Is there any way to do this other than sending feedback (without getting any reply)?
  14. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 00:07
    Originally posted by gambit05
    I am not really wishing to get banned, because that is dishonest, but I like to quit here. However, admins don't seem to react to my request to cancel my subscription. Is there any way to do this other than sending feedback (without getting any reply)?
    You could always just not log in.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 05:01
    Or cancel the credit card. Don't payment companies like 2checkout.com have to obey cancellation requests if you approach them direct?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree