1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 21:48
    i see it the opposite way...if you played the better game, then finish me....im at a lower level though so i can get stalemates..
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    22 May '07 22:021 edit
    Originally posted by kasparov6179
    I take the same approach. If the opponent does not respect your ability (the ability that has put him in a position of loss to begin with) enough to resign, then show no respect back. Take every piece and promote every pawn!
    Thats what I was doing! hehe

Game 2664992

its too bad he resigned 😛
  3. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:17
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    so you never resign, congratulations, that's very irrational of you. (that's a compliment, right?)

you are one of those which have nothing to do with chess and what it teaches to the soul, it's solely a competition for you. I'd advise you to compete in winning eleven, test drive 5 or something.
    Wow...sorry to have offended you.
  4. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:201 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    It's considered bad manners not to, as well as the mark of a n00b. If the position is lost stop waisting everybodies time. Do it at a chess club with serious players and you'll hear a lot of whispering about yourself while your back is turned.
    Develop a reputation for it and after awhile people will stop playing you.
    Well, I'm certainly not trying to be rude by not resigning...and there were two games recently which I believed were lost causes, but I wasn't noticing everything and ended up winning both of them. 🙂

As far as people potentially stopping playing with me...I highly doubt it. I'm not trying to insult anyone by not resigning...for me, every move can be a learning tool.
  5. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:21
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    If you want to play on it's up to you. What does me is when my opponent slows down to a snail's pace once the position is hopeless.
    I never slow down like you indicate...I try to play quickly. 🙂
  6. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:23
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    stalemates are fun.....its even worse to an opponent than a checkmate against them....thats why i never quit...EVER!!!!
    your right....people lose focus...thats why you can get these games...
    Yes, I won two games I thought were hopeless for me...my opponents must have lost focus. 🙂
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:23
    same thing here....the more someone thinks you should resign the more they cant get that out of you head...
  8. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:25
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I don't go down easily. I resign late, and only when it's absolutely sure the opponent can't possibly screw it up. I also play etremely slow when I'm losing, because I triple my efforts to find the best possible defense. I will look for every possible resource, try to complicate things, stir up trouble. -there's always a great urge to resign a game w ...[text shortened]... aying for a draw. and I think these are the kind of games that have taught me the most.
    Thank you...an informative and intelligent response. 🙂
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    26 May '07 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    What about you? I know, I know, if it's a lost cause I should resign, right?
    I resign when I can see the eventual mate. Its a way of saying - "Even though you have won, I have seen how you will win, which makes me as good a chess player as you are in this position."
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 May '07 21:27
    If someone has a lost position and doesn't resign, then I have to mate him. Simple as that.
    If it really is a certain win, then I have to show it for him. What's the problem? It takes some moves, but finally the mate is there.
    Never that I tell him to resign. If he wants to know how I can mate him or not believe he has a losing game, then he will learn something from it, will he not? Perhaps this is exactly what he wants.
  11. USA
    Moves
    27 May '07 04:14
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    What about you? I know, I know, if it's a lost cause I should resign, right?
    You must annoy a ton of people 😛
  12. Joined
    19 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '07 09:11
    I thought this game was definitely lost for me (I was white): but my philosophy is that you should never resign, until you have a (even little) theorical chance to win. Take a look at what happened in this game...Game 3258674
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    27 May '07 11:56
    Let’s put this argument in perspective. Resignation depends on the ratings of the players involved. You won’t see Akizy, Weyerstrass and Seadevil dragging lost games out hoping for a miracle or trying to learn something. That is unless it’s against a much lower rated player who may be lacking the technique to win a won game or hold the draw. Against their peers they accept the result when it becomes obvious. Below a certain level nothing is “obvious” because the play is so erratic. There is nothing to debate here. Players are within their right to play to checkmate, period. The only players that do it are weak players who are usually justified because their opponents aren’t any better. BTW: If you are one of those that does know better and you are playing somebody who doesn’t, just remember they may not know they are hopelessly lost. If you are one of those players who slows down or abandons a game when you are hopelessly lost you are showing your poor manners and lack of respect and making a fool of yourself. Emulate the big boys, be a man and resign and congratulate your opponent on outplaying you then move on to another game.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 12:06
    Originally posted by el gil
    I thought this game was definitely lost for me (I was white): but my philosophy is that you should never resign, until you have a (even little) theorical chance to win. Take a look at what happened in this game...Game 3258674
    Two of my recent games that shows that it is sometimes too easy to lose:
    In Game 2918353 he had a mate in one, but I was one move ahead.
    In Game 2963922 he forgot that his knight was preventing my mate.
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 May '07 14:571 edit
    When I'm in a totally won position, i may do several of many things 2 of the most unusual to resign the game myself, or deliberatly blunder so as to give them a draw/win.

the reactions you get are quite interesting.

--if they want rating points they dont deserve, as far as im concerned, they can have them.

If they then have the check to ask why you resigned -- act as patronising and as arrogant as possible, say something like:- "because playing you is both an insult to my inteligence and a waste of my time"

if you really really want to confuse people, secounds after/before your 3 queen up resignation shout, in a fit of rage "why must i lose to this idiot" then smash the board -- Nimzowitsch style.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree