1. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 22:59
    What about you? I know, I know, if it's a lost cause I should resign, right?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:02
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Yes.

I remember getting told off when I made a post about that when I was a non-sub. But now I'm a sub and I still think it's rediculous. When your game is lost resign.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:03
    If you want to play on it's up to you. What does me is when my opponent slows down to a snail's pace once the position is hopeless.
  4. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:07
    It's sometimes annoying in a tournament when all you want to do is get a bit of lunch and prepare for the next round.
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:24
    stalemates are fun.....its even worse to an opponent than a checkmate against them....thats why i never quit...EVER!!!!
    your right....people lose focus...thats why you can get these games...
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:34
    It's every player's choice when or if to resign. Of course if you're the one winning you also have a choice. If I have someone totally dominated and they refuse to resign I don't send them messages or get upset. But sometimes I will refuse to win until I've taken every piece and pawn they have, and queened all my pawns.
  7. Standard memberIan709
    In the learning
    Southern California
    Moves
    21 May '07 23:341 edit
    etiquette says resign in a lost position, but at our level, who really cares?
  8. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    22 May '07 00:42
    Originally posted by Ian709
    etiquette says resign in a lost position, but at our level, who really cares?
    I have resigned based on etiquette and it transpired that it was premature so I have no problem with a player playing on against me: who knows what sort of cock-up I could make!!

I was watching a player in a tournament who was really angry that his opponent wouldn't resign so instead of mating him he decided to promote 5 pawns and put 6 queens on the board. The idea was to reveal the stupidity of the opponent's recalcitrance.

Whoops 5th queen promotes, without 'acoustical echo', and the opponent has no legal move: drawn. The promotion-happy player was rated 1600, the opponent 900: that's gotta hurt 😵
  9. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    22 May '07 01:16
    Analyzation will reveal your true position. If there's even a slim hope for a draw, then I always play on. Of course, I stink anyway...
    but if they can't force a win, then they don't deserve it.
    Just don't drag it out if you're moving other games then do the right thing and play that losing position too, its a GAME!

Of course, I've dragged out a couple stinkers. Whoops.
    Human nature I guess, I'm working on it. 😵
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:02
    so you never resign, congratulations, that's very irrational of you. (that's a compliment, right?)

you are one of those which have nothing to do with chess and what it teaches to the soul, it's solely a competition for you. I'd advise you to compete in winning eleven, test drive 5 or something.
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:15
    Originally posted by demonseed
    I have resigned based on etiquette and it transpired that it was premature so I have no problem with a player playing on against me: who knows what sort of cock-up I could make!!

I was watching a player in a tournament who was really angry that his opponent wouldn't resign so instead of mating him he decided to promote 5 pawns and put 6 queens on the bo ...[text shortened]... : drawn. The promotion-happy player was rated 1600, the opponent 900: that's gotta hurt 😵
    Stop tempting fate!

Game 3149801
  12. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    22 May '07 12:57
    I have resigned before, though sometimes I've lost before I realize it. I was playing a guy recently, that should have resigned after I took his last rook and queen. It didn't really matter though, because I beat him a few moves later.

It's really the player's choice. Go down fighting, or quit and move on to the next game. Your call.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '07 13:002 edits
    It's considered bad manners not to, as well as the mark of a n00b. If the position is lost stop waisting everybodies time. Do it at a chess club with serious players and you'll hear a lot of whispering about yourself while your back is turned.
    Develop a reputation for it and after awhile people will stop playing you.
  14. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    22 May '07 13:03
    Well, sitting at a board in a club is different from playing online chess. If I was sitting at a table, and couldn't just go do other things while my opponent was thinking, then I would get impatient.

I think it's bad manners to tell someone else to do with their game, though.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 May '07 13:52
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    so you never resign, congratulations, that's very irrational of you. (that's a compliment, right?)

you are one of those which have nothing to do with chess and what it teaches to the soul, it's solely a competition for you. I'd advise you to compete in winning eleven, test drive 5 or something.
    I don't go down easily. I resign late, and only when it's absolutely sure the opponent can't possibly screw it up. I also play etremely slow when I'm losing, because I triple my efforts to find the best possible defense. I will look for every possible resource, try to complicate things, stir up trouble. -there's always a great urge to resign a game when it's looking 95% lost, but I fight the urge for as long as possible.

and I know it has all made a huge difference in my playing strength over time. if someone gets pissed off along the way, for not being able to win quickly enough, well that's tough. they may get the win, but they will have to wrestle it off my dead, cold fingers.

here's an example why you shouldn't resign a lost position. Game 2827781 -I blundered already in the opening (playing very tired), was sure I was lost, but played on. I took a lot of risks to keep going, sacced material (fritz really hates my moves), played snail pace, analyzed positions to death, and came out with a draw. I also learned a lot about playing for a draw. and I think these are the kind of games that have taught me the most.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree