1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 23:123 edits
    I'm sure I'll bounce back down, but I'm looking forward to being able hold 1600's.

I remember when I first joined I was holding high 1300's and I was ecstatic the first time I beat someone mid-15's.

This is mostly from just playing. I keep promising myself I'm going to get serious and train, and I think now is a good time.

Suggestions for a books and/or a training regiment? Something that doesn't commit too much time (I don't want to overload myself) and is simple to follow. If you can suggest books for someone my level I would greatly appreciate it. Here's my plan....

1: Join my local chess club. They meet at Barns & Noble every Monday, so I'll be crashing their party tomorrow. I need waaaaaay more OTB experience. 99.9% of my chess is played online. I also need to buy a roll-out, tourney style chess board.

2: Practice tactics online. How many should I do per day, at what difficulty and what type of mix between middle and endgame?

3: Read recommended chess books.

I have Chessmaster 10th edition. Any other user friendly software you'd recommend?

Edit: I recently made a rule that I will only play people rated 1500-1600. The 'Create Open Invites' option only allows you to filter in opponents in 100 point increments. I usually get pummeled by 1600's players - should I go ahead and expand my filter to 1500-1700?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 23:20
    Congratulations.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 00:05
    congrats.

some of my favorite books which I think might be appropriate here are the game of chess by tarrashc(although the opening section is obviously outdated), forcing chess moves, pawn structure chess by soltis, I am going through build up your chess 1 (the examples are well chosen but you might need a little more explanatory prose-maybe take a look at it before you buy it if possible) and silmans endgame book. Those are just a few off the top of my head. There are definitely others which are worthy of mention but those were the ones that popped in my head.
  4. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 08:58
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm sure I'll bounce back down, but I'm looking forward to being able hold 1600's.

I remember when I first joined I was holding high 1300's and I was ecstatic the first time I beat someone mid-15's.

This is mostly from just playing. I keep promising myself I'm going to get serious and train, and I think now is a good time.

Suggestions f ...[text shortened]... pummeled by 1600's players - should I go ahead and expand my filter to 1500-1700?
    Well done!

Now keep clawing towards the summit 🙂

Yes,expand your filter.Play better players and ask them questions afterwards.On here I reckon most will reply and teach you a thing or two.Each game becomes a mini-lesson adding to your arsenal.

toet.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 09:24
    congrats!

To be really honest, I don't think books are very useful, except for very specific things. Instead of wasting your money time and energy (as it's quite boring to read a chess book), my modest rules of thumb would be:

- keep on playing, that's the best way to learn... I guess one main point is still that you should stop blundering. So when playing, just force yourself to take time - especially when you are sure ; I would recommend that you try to play systematically (i.e. considering all legal possibilities for 1 or 2 moves). This is painful, but quite useful. Also, force yourself to consider all possibilities for your opponent, and not just hope it will do. This way, you'll feel that you reach a certain depth in the analysis, i.e. that you see things you didn't see before regarding a given position.

- don't do too much on openings; don't try to learn them by heart, it's too hard and useless; instead, try to remember typical moves and positions, so that you have a taste of what may work or not. (like: "I know, in the calatan, that I can play Ne5 or a4 at some point).

- learn endings: do you know by heart when and how to draw and win a pawn/a rook ending? do you know philidor and lucena positions? that's pretty useful! and you can find this on the internet.

- do not neglect strategy; I don't agree on the idea that "tactics is more important". It happens very often that people, for instance at the end of the opening,"don't know anymore what to play". These are crucial moments, as this is when blunders come.
    I think people should give some specific attention to these situations where the position is "apparently equal" and there is no clear way to go.

So if you sometimes feel like this, then don't give up; tell yourself "nice! this is where challenge is", and take as much time as you need, to make sure it's the right move. You have to have good reasons to play a move!
  6. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 12:26
    Well done.

Now forget the chess books as such and work on keeping your mind in its best possible combination.

I want to hear that you are doing good physical workouts (should be a given really).

Next, you need to concentrate on your diet. Make sure you get the vitamins, cut out the takeaways etc.

You should give up Alcohol and Smoking (if you do either).

You should also give up intimate encounters during matches.

You must also avoid stressful situations.

You should focus on this for a period of at least a year.

If the above does not cause you to commit suicide, then do let me know if it improves your chess.
  7. Joined
    18 May '10
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 13:03
    Congrats! If you are able to hold onto 1600s in the coming games, you can start playing higher rated opponents.
  8. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 14:39
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I thought the same thing when I hit it a few months ago, but have been able to hold it.

My game also still needs some serious work in terms of strategy and bad blunders, but tactical problems have helped a lot with my rating here.

I still routinely lose to better players, but since I don't set a filter at all, I can often return the favor to 12-1500 rated players.
  9. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 01:20
    I still think you could be 1800 via reading only the mate in 2 section of Polgars book.

However that is the most gigantic chess book I`ve ever seen so it will keep you busy for a long time.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 03:19
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    I still think you could be 1800 via reading only the mate in 2 section of Polgars book.

However that is the most gigantic chess book I`ve ever seen so it will keep you busy for a long time.
    What's the name of it?
  11. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 03:371 edit
    It approximately called ......Chess 5342 positions plus one...
    mostly its just called `Chess`. though

Just remember the author is Laslo Polgar.

It`s available in soft or hard cover.

The soft cover version is much cheaper methinks if that is releveant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree