1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 22:462 edits
    Can I get some advice on how to find myself playing in OTB tournaments, etc - I really want to do correspondence tournaments that award prizes as that is my specialty. Any direction to head? (First I have to improve 😉)
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 22:47
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Can I get some advice on how to find myself playing in OTB tournaments, etc - I really want to do correspondence tournaments that award prizes as that is my specialty. Any direction to head? (First I have to improve 😉)
    http://main.uschess.org/
  3. Standard memberelohiym chanan
    under construction
    presently mired...
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 00:13
    I wish there was a chess club where I live. The closest one is 50~ miles. Many years ago there was one in the town I lived, it was a hoot. I much prefer OTB play. Good luck finding one where you live!
  4. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Can I get some advice on how to find myself playing in OTB tournaments, etc
    Your profile states that you are in high school; play in or start a high school chess club. I have played in a few OTB tournaments - inconvenient to attend (at least where I am major cities an hour or more drive away) however fun if you attend with friends although by the end of the tournament tiresome and wishing for home cooking. 🙂

In particular I enjoyed the scholastic tournaments.

To improve study lots of games, in particular those games in the few systems that you wish to specialize.
  5. Tionesta
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 12:28
    In OTB chess psychology is a mega dynamic, although it is usually very subtle and hides behind the guise offriendly competition. I cannot emphasise enough: " there is no such animal as F-R-I-E-N-D-L-Y chess. Nobody wants to be bested intellectually no matter how they may protest. It is an ego destroyer. In summation: never be fooled by the smiling face across the board.
  6. London
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 12:31
    Originally posted by elohiym chanan
    I wish there was a chess club where I live. The closest one is 50~ miles. Many years ago there was one in the town I lived, it was a hoot. I much prefer OTB play. Good luck finding one where you live!
    Start one!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree