ICC Dasher

ICC Dasher

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
05 Oct 08

Something is wrong with it. I continue to thrash it playing bullet and that just shouldn't be happening. I toggle the computer analysis and it works just fine but it seems to play at a 1000 level no matter what setting I put it on.

MR

Moves
06 Oct 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
Something is wrong with it. I continue to thrash it playing bullet and that just shouldn't be happening. I toggle the computer analysis and it works just fine but it seems to play at a 1000 level no matter what setting I put it on.
I don't use Dasher, but have you tried some simple troubleshooting, like installing a different engine to see if the problem goes away?

t

Moves
06 Oct 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I don't use Dasher, but have you tried some simple troubleshooting, like installing a different engine to see if the problem goes away?
It comes with its own engine. I can change the analysis engine but it will always use the same engine to play.

MR

Moves
06 Oct 08
1 edit

It comes with its own engine. I can change the analysis engine but it will always use the same engine to play.
Hmm, I think you're right about which engine is being used. I downloaded Dasher, and it does seem to only use one engine for playing against the computer, regardless of which one you choose for the analysis engine. (I didn't try playing it in bullet to duplicate your problem, though.) When you play the computer, it seems to be using the engine named "engine.exe", located in the hidden application data folder. Looking at a hex dump of the file, it appears to be a customized version of Crafty.

If I were you, I'd just use the free Arena 1.1 GUI and one of the free engines that allow the strength to be adjusted downward, like Hamsters 0.6 or Ufim 8.0.2.

J

benching

Moves
06 Oct 08

If Dasher is too weak log on to ICC and you can meet players from beginner level to GMs like Nakamura. The reason it is weak might be they want to encourage beginners to play chess so something tough might scare them from chess.

t

Moves
07 Oct 08

Originally posted by Jie
If Dasher is too weak log on to ICC and you can meet players from beginner level to GMs like Nakamura. The reason it is weak might be they want to encourage beginners to play chess so something tough might scare them from chess.
Actually I game close to beating GM Amir Bagheri, who plays there, in a blitz game once... I couldn't keep up though and I eventually caved. It was a 5/5 I believe.

J

benching

Moves
07 Oct 08

Actually I game close to beating GM Amir Bagheri, who plays there, in a blitz game once... I couldn't keep up though and I eventually caved. It was a 5/5 I believe.
Wow! So I guess you can pretty much win against anyone in RHP Blitz then? Are you ranked over 2300 on ICC?

t

Moves
07 Oct 08
3 edits

Originally posted by Jie
Wow! So I guess you can pretty much win against anyone in RHP Blitz then? Are you ranked over 2300 on ICC?
No, I haven't played there... and he isn't quite as strong as he used to be... hes fallen under 2500 Fide. I think Korch could handle him in blitz.

I had a pretty good bullet rating on playchess.com but somehow they figured I was using an engine to play 1min games... I don't know how they came to that conclusion.

Edit2: And on chesshere I had risen up to above an 1800 rating playing strictly 5/0 games... back when i did that an 1800 rating was pretty high seeing as Judit(or so I was told and she seemed pretty convincing) played there and only had a 2000 rating.

Edit3: But I still gauge myself at patzer... when I get up the courage to go get an established FIDE rating I want to be at least 2200-2300 but I have much much work to do before that happens.