Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 15 Apr '07 13:58
    That's right, thanks to one opening book, one tactics book and an hour and a half per diem I am getting better. Hopefully I keep going, but I discovered yesterday night that I would be happy with my age x100 being my rating. E.g. 18 yrs, 1800+
  2. 15 Apr '07 14:07
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    That's right, thanks to one opening book, one tactics book and an hour and a half per diem I am getting better. Hopefully I keep going, but I discovered yesterday night that I would be happy with my age x100 being my rating. E.g. 18 yrs, 1800+
    Best of luck with that, but try to avoid lay-offs.
    Myself, I stopped playing for a few years and now find myself significantly below the projected 4,500.
    :'(
  3. 15 Apr '07 14:22 / 1 edit
    that would be cool. in fact if my current otb rating remains unchanged until May 15th, I will have:

days lived / 365 = rating x 100

and given that my current rating is also my year of birth, I would call that pretty odd situation.
  4. 15 Apr '07 17:59
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    that would be cool. in fact if my current otb rating remains unchanged until May 15th, I will have:

days lived / 365 = rating x 100

and given that my current rating is also my year of birth, I would call that pretty odd situation.
    (days lived / 365) x 100 = rating
  5. 15 Apr '07 18:05
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    (days lived / 365) x 100 = rating
    oh...

I feel noobish.
  6. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    15 Apr '07 18:10
    oh...

I feel noobish.
    if you end up in a university, most of the math will look more like ax = by than ax/b = y.
  7. 15 Apr '07 18:21
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if you end up in a university, most of the math will look more like ax = by than ax/b = y.
    noooo...

luckily I am applying to Helsinki School of Economics. no hard math there i guess.
  8. 15 Apr '07 18:30
    Do you have a blitz rating? Can you play OTB?
  9. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    15 Apr '07 22:21
    noooo...

luckily I am applying to Helsinki School of Economics. no hard math there i guess.
    I'm pretty sure there will be, it's a university. already forgot where the nash equilibrium is used?
  10. 15 Apr '07 22:26
    I would be happy with a rating of 3600, too. Might be a little unrealistic, though.
  11. 15 Apr '07 22:36
    Jusuh what club do you play for? I play for Leeds Chess Club and have a poxy OTB of 125 but I am only 24 yr old so hopefully i'll be 180 one day I study over 1.5 hours a day and play in the Yorkshire League as well as the Leeds League and Congress'.
  12. 15 Apr '07 22:38
    Prosoccer, what books are you reading and do you play OTB chess? I'm a very keen and improving player myself! I found the Alexander Kotov books great help and the Dvoretsky endgame manual dvd helpful too. I have just purchased Squares Strategy by Bangiev and those are pretty instructive as well.