1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 21:34
    We all try to imitate the games of great players that we have seen. Sometimes it works out and sometimes ...

3 0 game with a computer at FICS (not the strongest of computers but a computer none the less).

The uneasy feeling begins to sink in when you see 17.Qd2 which wins a clean pawn. After that, it's all downhill against a computer.

In the final position, I am dead lost, but I got disconnected and lost that way. I logged on for a rematch and got disconnected again. (Lightning had struck my phone line, and I was disconnecting all over the place. It is in fact the reason I was playing unrated engines in the first place.)

My play in this game (early exd4, which I seldom use) was based on a Smyslov game in the back of my head. I remembered it worked so well for him.

Here is the catch:

It didn't work so well for him !
  2. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 21:35
    Botvinnik-Smyslov

Drawn because that was all Botvinnik needed for the title!
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 21:40
    Botvinnik had the easier game all along. I think he had at least a slight edge the whole way.

The moral is know what you are getting yourself into. 🙂

I can't say how many times I have blindly played into a variation I get out of a book only to find myself in big trouble.

Rather than leave on a sour note, I'll throw in a game with me immitating Morphy. (hehe)

3 Minute Game At FICS

20. Kb2 Rxc2+ 21.Bxc2 Qxg3 Wins

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree