1. USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 22:57
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I played chess kid, and his strategy looks pretty solid to me, I resigned the game in the middle game as I had too many games, but I thought he's better than just about every 1200 player Ive played, and I think hed give you a pretty good game.
    Thanks for the compliment😀

My tactics suck though but hopefully I should stop blunder now that I am spending time on my games🙂
  2. USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 23:16
    Thursday
    1 G/15 game agaist CM
    Book Study: Winning Chess Tournament for juniors/Tactics
    50 Puzzles on CTB
    CM Academy for 30 minutes
    Work on Openings
    1 Lesson from Unbeatable Chess Lessons
    Analyze any Un-analyzed games
    Friday
    1 G/20 game agaist CM
    Book Study: Tactics/Combinations
    50 Puzzles on CTB
    1 game on Yahoo!

Saturday
    1 G/30 game against CM
    Book Study Endgame
    Analyze any un-analyzed games

I hope this helps. Some people may find this funny, but I was stuck at 1100 for 1 1/2 years. I was so frustrated that other people were going ahead of my with apparently no effort. Some players are strong enough that they can reach 1300 with just practice and no studying. That wasn't the case for me.

Over the summer I made a resolution: Play in more tournaments and follow the aforementioned plan. It took me about 1 to 2 hours a day to complete the daily chess studying, but I was rewarded with my rating jumping from 1100 to 1200, and then to 1250, and the good part was that it stayed there. I ran out of time, but I still find the time to do 50 tactics puzzles every day. I recommend that you repeat the tactics program 5-7 times, and then move on to the intermediate software.

Goodluck slickhare, and I hope this helps!
  3. Joined
    24 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 00:021 edit
    I recommend you buy the DVD set of Roman Labs.... Costs a fortune but its easier to pick stuff up from him talking, than from a book. If you are in the UK log into ICC chess and buy it from there in dollars and get it 50% cheaper than from the same shop.
  4. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 00:14
    I agree with dvd training?
    But most impressed with all the work you have put in! amazing!!!
  5. U.S.A.
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 05:48
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Thursday
    1 G/15 game agaist CM
    Book Study: Winning Chess Tournament for juniors/Tactics
    50 Puzzles on CTB
    Work on Openings
    Friday
    1 G/20 game agaist CM
    Book Study: Tactics/Combinations
    50 Puzzles on CTB
    Analy ...[text shortened]... s, and then move on to the intermediate software.

Goodluck slickhare, and I hope this helps!
    🙂 Hey i love your determination. Wow a 100 point increase is a pretty big improvement. That must have taken a lot of studying. That's awesome. Congratulations on that. 🙂

I think solving chess puzzles is one of the best and funnest ways to learn. You should also check out Reinfeld's "1001 winning chess sacrifices and combinations". And maybe Jeremy Silman's "How to Reassess your Chess" & "The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions into Chess Mastery". Your local library might carry these or maybe some other good books if your short on spending cash.
    For improving on openings think about just picking one or two for white and one or two as black that you really like and play/study only those for awhile. Better to become an expert or more experienced in one or two than just so so in many, right?
    Best wishes on your qwest to become a strong chess player.

-- Paul (Pavlo87)
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 18:07
    Rather than spending a forturne on books that you probably won't read all the way through, pick ONE classic general work and come as close as you can to memorizing it! I would recommend that you read and try to thoroughly understand ONE of the following:

"The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch (now available in Algabraic Notation).
    "Chess the Easy Way" by Reuben Fine
    "Chess Fundamentals" by Jose Capablanca
    "Guide to Good Chess" by Cecil Purdy (the first World's Correspondence Champion!)

Also by ONE book of tactics. I recommend "Sharpen Your Tactics" by GM Anatoly Lein, et. al.

I believe that following my advice will make almost anyone at least a 1400-player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree