1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 May '09 19:49
    I've often wondered why publications such as New in Chess or Informants don't publish games collections primarialy of the top Correspondence players rather than focusing primarily OTB games. I realize there are a few Correspondence games in them, but there are many thousands of very high quality Correspondence games from national organizations, ICCF, and online sites that contain just as much useful information as the OTB games. Why not Informants/Correspondence or New in Chess/Correspondence? Any thoughts? 😏
  2. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 May '09 20:01
    Originally posted by bill718
    I've often wondered why publications such as New in Chess or Informants don't publish games collections primarialy of the top Correspondence players rather than focusing primarily OTB games. I realize there are a few Correspondence games in them, but there are many thousands of very high quality Correspondence games from national organizations, ICCF, and onl ...[text shortened]... OTB games. Why not Informants/Correspondence or New in Chess/Correspondence? Any thoughts? 😏
    Never given it any thought.Two things popped into my mind:

-Lack of interest.Corr chess is a different game than OTB.Perhaps there's no,or a too small,public for such games.

-Engines.Perhaps the publishers suspect discussions may arise about engine assistance in corr chess,and they don't fancy getting overwhelmed with letters on this topic.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 May '09 14:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    I've often wondered why publications such as New in Chess or Informants don't publish games collections primarialy of the top Correspondence players rather than focusing primarily OTB games. I realize there are a few Correspondence games in them, but there are many thousands of very high quality Correspondence games from national organizations, ICCF, and onl ...[text shortened]... OTB games. Why not Informants/Correspondence or New in Chess/Correspondence? Any thoughts? 😏
    Both accept submissions.
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 May '09 15:24
    Perhaps because both these publishers know that to sell copies they have to have the BIG name players on show?!

Correspondence Chess likely has it's own top players known to many within that particular branch of the game, but I certainly couldn't name a single one of them!

However, with New In Chess in particular I know I'm going to get excellently analysed games by Anand/Carlsen/Topalov/Radjabov and scores more besides.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 May '09 03:57
    Informant 100 has five correspondence games. As my collection is woefully incomplete, that is the latest volume I'm able to check.

Inasmuch as the selection criteria favors opening novelties, I rather suspect that novelties with merit are not excluded simply because they are correspondence. But, there must be a reason for inclusion, and that likely begins with a submission.
  6. e4
    Moves
    11 May '09 08:00
    Hi

C.C. Chess has it's own dedicated magazines and the top C.C. players
    (I cannot name one either) will most likely submit to them.

If C.C. games is your thing then this site's game explorer will
    keep you amused for hours

The British Correspondence Chess site has a collection of
    'Best C.C.Games' in different categories, Best Sac, Best Save,
    Best Endgame etc...

http://www.bcca.info/games/collections.php
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 May '09 08:11
    I have a copy of a series called Correspondence Chess Yearbook. It is very similar to the Informant. Mine is from around the late 1990's or soon after, so it might not still be in print. There are two books with correspondence game collections in them. One is Modern Postal Masterpieces. I think the other is called Diamond Dust. They too are older books though.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '09 08:19
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I have a copy of a series called Correspondence Chess Yearbook. It is very similar to the Informant. Mine is from around the late 1990's or soon after, so it might not still be in print. There are two books with correspondence game collections in them. One is Modern Postal Masterpieces. I think the other is called Diamond Dust. They too are older books though.
    Is Modern Postal Masterpieces by Cecil Purdy?
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 May '09 08:35
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Is Modern Postal Masterpieces by Cecil Purdy?
    I think it's by Chess Life (postal) columnist Alex Dunne (The Check Is In The Mail). There is a book called How Purdy Won with Purdy's games though.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '09 08:52
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I think it's by Chess Life (postal) columnist Alex Dunne (The Check Is In The Mail). There is a book called How Purdy Won with Purdy's games though.
    I must have been thinking of C.J.S. Purdy's Fine art of Chess annotation but I don't think he does strictly correspondence in that book if at all I don't remember.
  11. e4
    Moves
    11 May '09 09:55
    Hi Guys.

Tim Harding's 64 Great Games of Chess is all C.C. Games.

He also did Startling C.C. Miniatures which is vey enjoyable.
    (I have an autographed copy) 😏

I think Purdy did a book called something like;

"How I won the C.C. World Champioship"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree