Instructive endgame

Instructive endgame

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
22 Apr 09

An instructive position from one of my games.A rather poorly played game from my side but I managed to save it through better endgame knowledge.

White has 2 moves that force an easy draw.Can you spot the idea?

FL

Moves
22 Apr 09

1. Na3 or Ne3 (any Black move)
2. Nc4 (any Black move)
3. Nxb6

Then the White kings runs to h1 and plays back and forth between this square and g1, g2 or h2. The king can't forced away from the corner as Black's bishop controls the wrong colour (h1 is a white square, the bishop is a black-squared bishop) and so Black's h-pawn can never be forced home.

R

Moves
22 Apr 09

Originally posted by Fat Lady
2. Nc4 (any Black move)
3. Nxb6

Then the White kings runs to h1 and plays back and forth between this square and g1, g2 or h2. The king can't forced away from the corner as Black's bishop controls the wrong colour (h1 is a white square, the bishop is a black-squared bishop) and so Black's h-pawn can never be forced home.
Right.Could you hide your answer,please?
For players of your level it's easy but others may find it a nice challenge 🙂

a

Moves
23 Apr 09

Originally posted by Fat Lady
2. Nc4 (any Black move)
3. Nxb6

I should know this stuff, but I always find it hard to remember. Hope this time I will not forget it.