1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 01:53
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Read my post again.
    Apologies, thanks for clearing that up as well.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 02:05
    Originally posted by Ravello
    No games against no1marauder?😛
    I've only finished one game against No1 in the Dragon. I blundered into a mate. He resigned both the other games that were in the Dragon (one which he had an advantage in and the other which was still in the opening).
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 02:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I've only finished one game against No1 in the Dragon. I blundered into a mate. He resigned both the other games that were in the Dragon (one which he had an advantage in and the other which was still in the opening).
    Do you have the GID for the one you finished? If it's buried in the archives, don't bother.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 19:35
    I just got "Play The Sicilian Dragon" today (amazon is amazing) and this book is huge...I have a lot to study. 😀
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 19:56
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Do you have the GID for the one you finished? If it's buried in the archives, don't bother.
    Game 1065458
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 20:01
    Yeah, it's quite a mammajamma, although I think I can help you pick out the most important chapters:

-Both Bh6 chapters
    - All the alternatives chapters
    - All of the 9. 0-0-0 chapters.
    - The Sozin and the Levenfish chapters

Focuse less on the Sozin / Levenfish stuff, and most of your time on 9. 0-0-0, and the 9. Bc4 stuff. The Yugoslav Attack is played in probably 90% of my games online, and most of them deviate pretty soon after they choose a ninth move. Only in correspondence games will you probably have to deal with people playing a lot of theory, such as my game against Tebb. Remember key defensive ideas, and key tactics, such as typical c3 sacks, when they're good, when they suck, when to take a pawn that reaches h5, when to leave, how to take it if you do. When to play Ne5-c4 ideas, when to play Qa5...All this stuff is pretty important, but not too hard to remember. Combine a thorough knowledge of ideas with alot of theory and practice, and you will be mating fools in no time.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 20:101 edit
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Game 1065458
    Mainline Soltis with 14.f4.

Deviation from mainline at move 18...Qb6 (Respected, though apparently 18...a5! is the better move) 19.f5! gxf5 seems to be an error. Bxd4 is given in the book. And, I think, 24...Rxc3 is a blunder, although the game looks lost even sooner.

BTW: This is, obviously, coming from the book. 🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 20:12
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Yeah, it's quite a mammajamma, although I think I can help you pick out the most important chapters:

-Both Bh6 chapters
    - All the alternatives chapters
    - All of the 9. 0-0-0 chapters.
    - The Sozin and the Levenfish chapters

Focuse less on the Sozin / Levenfish stuff, and most of your time on 9. 0-0-0, and the 9. Bc4 stuff. The Yugoslav Attack is pla ...[text shortened]... knowledge of ideas with alot of theory and practice, and you will be mating fools in no time.
    Awesome! Thanks for the help, I'll have a look through those chapters ASAP and see if I can't figure some of this stuff out. Ideas are probably as important as tactics at my level right now, so I probably shouldn't have to do too much memorizing (yet).
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 20:17
    Yeah, I play around 2100 Standard on ICC and rarely get into the meaty lines, which is awesome, since everything is generally pretty peachy for black.
  10. Standard memberchessicle
    The Chessicle
    Scotland?
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 21:28
    For what little it is worth, here is my best game against the Dragon....

Game 1996251
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 07:12
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Mainline Soltis with 14.f4.

Deviation from mainline at move 18...Qb6 (Respected, though apparently 18...a5! is the better move) 19.f5! gxf5 seems to be an error. Bxd4 is given in the book. And, I think, 24...Rxc3 is a blunder, although the game looks lost even sooner.

BTW: This is, obviously, coming from the book. 🙂
    Yes you got the opening right (At the time I hadn't seen it much). I played 18. ... Qb6 based on a Ftacnik study unfortunately the study only mentions 19. f5 in a sideline (19 ... Bxd4 Klovens - Tiviakov 1-0).
    I played 19. ... gxf5 in an attempt to steer away from a bunch of what appeared to be lost games. In hindsight this was a mistake.
    At the current point we are following Langer - Dejmek (0-1). Fritz suggest white is winning after 20. Rxh1 but I think further investigation would be required before you could claim something so boldly.
    21. Bg5 is the novelty of the game and quite the innovation by No1, the text game continued 21. Nxf5 and in the end white lacks the pieces to carry out the king assault.
    21. ... Ng3 I think this the only move, while Bxd4 taking out the central and dangerous knight looks tempting I think black would struggle after 22. Qxh5 d5(!) 23. Rxd4.
    For the next few moves I can't see any real problems. And then I throw it all away with 24. ... Rxc3?? , the only move here is Re7 and even that disadvantages black. I don't think I would have been outright lost at this point, however the defence appears to razor thin and unless No1 let the pressure off I would have likely misstepped sooner or later.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree