Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    02 Oct '05 14:22
    Game 1121956

    This was a very enjoyable game that just finished. I was under severe pressure, but managed to scrape out a win. I castled queenside because I didn't really like the advanced pawns and concentration of pieces on the king side. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, as I seemed to invite a whole pile of pressure on my open king.

    Any comments/suggestions/tactical errors?

    Cheers,

    D
  2. 02 Oct '05 14:40
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Game 1121956

    This was a very enjoyable game that just finished. I was under severe pressure, but managed to scrape out a win. I castled queenside because I didn't really like the advanced pawns and concentration of pieces on the king side. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, as I seemed to invite a whole pile of pressure on my open king.

    Any comments/suggestions/tactical errors?

    Cheers,

    D
    I have some questions...

    Was it actually possible to checkmate him at the end?
    If it is possible I would imagine it to be very difficult; so why would he resign?
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    02 Oct '05 14:48
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I have some questions...

    Was it actually possible to checkmate him at the end?
    If it is possible I would imagine it to be very difficult; so why would he resign?
    I was 5 moves away from mating him. I had the hard part of the mating pattern completed, ie: getting him into the correct coloured corner.

    Here is a completed BNK mate...
    Game 1121258

    D
  4. 02 Oct '05 14:48
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I have some questions...

    Was it actually possible to checkmate him at the end?
    If it is possible I would imagine it to be very difficult; so why would he resign?
    If Ka7 it is 4 moves, if Ka8, then 5 to checkmate. Make the exercise, it is easy (forced moves for the king). The hard work was in the 20 or so moves before that.
  5. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    02 Oct '05 15:09
    Really like the mating pattern at the end. I bet your opponent was hoping you didn't know that ending. Well played
  6. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    05 Oct '05 12:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    If Ka7 it is 4 moves, if Ka8, then 5 to checkmate. Make the exercise, it is easy (forced moves for the king). The hard work was in the 20 or so moves before that.


    This is an unforced mate which may pop up during the BNK end game. Are there any other unforced mate patterns that may occur while trying to achieve the forced mate in the correct coloured corner?

    D
  7. 11 Oct '05 20:26
    Game 1420549

    here is an realy interesting game i played

    I was asleep in the opening, lets pretend i was on the phone making movies with my eyes closed

    after that i attack and attack and attack and it payed off (bound to be defences which would have stopped me but i enjoyed the game all the same
  8. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    12 Oct '05 15:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Any comments/suggestions/tactical errors?
    White had FIVE passed Pawns! You should have lost.
  9. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    12 Oct '05 17:03
    Originally posted by villa68
    Game 1420549

    here is an realy interesting game i played

    I was asleep in the opening, lets pretend i was on the phone making movies with my eyes closed

    after that i attack and attack and attack and it payed off (bound to be defences which would have stopped me but i enjoyed the game all the same
    The g1 knight was poison. This shows the perils of bringing the Q out too early and being too hungry.
  10. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    12 Oct '05 17:13
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    This shows the perils of bringing the Q out too early and being too hungry.
    I agree with the first part
  11. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    12 Oct '05 18:11
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I agree with the first part
    I should have said "being too greedy". Do you agree with this?
  12. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    12 Oct '05 20:56
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    White had FIVE passed Pawns! You should have lost.
    Five?

    D
  13. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    12 Oct '05 22:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Five?

    D
    Yep.
  14. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    14 Oct '05 05:38
    Game 1342108
    The suspense is overwhelming.
  15. Standard member zakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    20 Oct '05 07:27
    Game 1491895
    I'm almost insulted. Would any of you have resigned this early?