Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 May '08 07:53 / 1 edit
    I was playing a friend of mine recently, and we got to this position (White just played Nd5)- what were the next moves? Solutions PMed please, 1400+ will find it easy.
  2. 18 May '08 08:09 / 1 edit
    I've used this tactic quite a lot & OTB, too.
    Sweet when it comes off, ain't it?
    Here's the OTB example from a game I played a few months ago.

    White to move
  3. 18 May '08 08:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I've used this tactic quite a lot & OTB, too.
    Sweet when it comes off, ain't it?
    Here's the OTB example from a game I played a few months ago.

    White to move
    [fen]r2qkbnr/pp2pppp/2np4/8/2B1P1b1/2N2N2/PP3PPP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 7[/fen]
    Yes, but there was another good move afterwards... good spot though. Told you it was easy!
  4. Standard member afx
    18 May '08 10:17
    Ok, probably you are thinking about
    1. .. Bxf2+
    But what are you doing after 2. Ke2
    I think, the position is better for white!
  5. 18 May '08 10:56
    Originally posted by curseknight
    I was playing a friend of mine recently, and we got to this position (White just played Nd5)- what were the next moves? Solutions PMed please, 1400+ will find it easy.
    [fen]r1bqk2r/p2p1ppp/5n2/2bNp1B1/4P3/2P2N2/PP3PPP/R2QK2R w KQkq[/fen]
    I believe you might be referring to the move 1. ... Nxe4!
  6. 18 May '08 11:18
    Originally posted by strokem1
    I believe you might be referring to the move 1. ... Nxe4!
    Good idea, but that is not the intended solution (that was not possible, I had to set up the position from memory!).
  7. 18 May '08 11:21
    Originally posted by afx
    Ok, probably you are thinking about
    1. .. Bxf2+
    But what are you doing after 2. Ke2
    I think, the position is better for white!
    1. Bxf2+ Ke2
    2. Nxe4 Bxd8
    3. Ba6+

    What actually happened was

    1. Bxf2+ Kf1
    2. Nxd5! (Bxd8 Ne3+) exd5 (Qxd5 in this position is better, but impossible at the time)
    3. Qb6
  8. 18 May '08 11:40 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by curseknight
    1. Bxf2+ Ke2
    2. Nxe4 Bxd8
    3. Ba6+

    What actually happened was

    1. Bxf2+ Kf1
    2. Nxd5! (Bxd8 Ne3+) exd5 (Qxd5 in [b]this
    position is better, but impossible at the time)
    3. Qb6[/b]
    1...Bxf2+
    2. Ke2 Nxe4
    3. Bxd8 Ba6+
    4. Qd3 Bxd3+
    5. Kxd3 then what? Black is down a piece.

    For "what actually happened" (1...Bxf2+ 2. Kf1), you are giving yourself "!" on a losing move. After 2...Nxd5 3. Qxd5 wins for White (notice that Ra8 is now also under attack.

    Edit: on second look, did I understand correctly that you setup the board wrong here? If so, never mind.
  9. 18 May '08 11:44
    Originally posted by Ikuturso
    1...Bxf2+
    2. Ke2 Nxe4
    3. Bxd8 Ba6+
    4. Qd3 Bxd3+
    5. Kxd3 then what? Black is down a piece.

    For "what actually happened" (1...Bxf2+ 2. Kf1), you are giving yourself "!" on a losing move. After 2...Nxd5 3. Qxd5 wins for White.
    As far as I am aware, he pointed that out originally.
  10. 18 May '08 11:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by curseknight
    1. Bxf2+ Ke2
    2. Nxe4 Bxd8
    3. Ba6+

    What actually happened was

    1. Bxf2+ Kf1
    2. Nxd5! (Bxd8 Ne3+) exd5 (Qxd5 in [b]this
    position is better, but impossible at the time)
    3. Qb6[/b]
    I see nothing wrong with Bxf2+ Ke2 Bc5.
  11. 18 May '08 11:53
    Originally posted by mjolnir
    As far as I am aware, he pointed that out originally.
    Yes, just noticed it too late. But it would really be desirable that boards are set-up correctly when discussing tactics.
  12. 18 May '08 12:33
    Originally posted by Ikuturso
    Yes, just noticed it too late. But it would really be desirable that boards are set-up correctly when discussing tactics.
    I suppose you're right there. But I would also find it hard to set up a position from memory, so there you go.