1. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 22:03
    Ugh - OK I think using the threat of Greenpawns mate, setting up a stalemate position with move 10 (Kf6), white can put black in zugzwang and force black to give up the a or d pawns. The N sits on b3 and stops the a and b pawns, the c2 pawn holds the d pawn. I keep going to show black's tricky stunt at move 14, white needs the check with the pawn to avoid the draw. Anyone see a problem with this one?

2. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 22:11
    Ah, right - the black king goes to g7 on move 9. I also keep helping white with tempo wasting pawn moves. Sorry, back to the drawing board....
  3. Joined
    20 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 23:02
    Promoting to queen must be better than promoting to knight. Mustn't it? Just wondering if Reinfeld was trying to invent a position involving under-promoting in order to make a point, and got it slightly wrong.

Has anybody here had a position in an actual game where it was better to under-promote? I don't think I ever have.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 23:321 edit
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    Was working in Reinfeld's 1001 winning sacs and combo's.Got this.
    White to move
    [fen]5rr1/pp1b1P1p/5Q2/3p3k/5K2/8/2P3P1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

After the combination you get this position.
    Black to move
    [fen]8/pp1N3p/8/3p4/5K1k/8/2P3P1/8 b - - 0 3[/fen]
    Knight for 2 pawns,that wins.Right?
    But white only has 2 pawns left making me doubt the win.So I tr 3 Kf6 16. Kh4 Ke5 17. Kh5 Kf4 18. Na2 Kg3[/pgn]

Can it be won?

toet.
    I thought, then thought again, and now I have nothing 😞
  5. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 07:32
    Originally posted by Folderer
    Promoting to queen must be better than promoting to knight. Mustn't it? Just wondering if Reinfeld was trying to invent a position involving under-promoting in order to make a point, and got it slightly wrong.

Has anybody here had a position in an actual game where it was better to under-promote? I don't think I ever have.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/07/michael-adams-british-championship

Certainly not my game but look at the game at the top of this article.
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 07:37
    In the solution Reinfeld says
    "after 1.PxR/Q RxQch black can still fight on.So: 1.PxR/N! etc..."

He clearly considers the knight ending a (simple) win.I think he didn't investigate it properly.
    Or it is a trivial win and we all need to hit the endgame books

I still can't do better than draw.I give up.If I ever get this position I'll offer a draw 😛

toet.
  7. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 07:51
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/07/michael-adams-british-championship

Certainly not my game but look at the game at the top of this article.
    Sweet!

wish I could reach such a position.And then find the winning moves of course 🙂

toet.
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 16:12
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    In the solution Reinfeld says
    "after 1.PxR/Q RxQch black can still fight on.So: 1.PxR/N! etc..."

He clearly considers the knight ending a (simple) win.I think he didn't investigate it properly.
    Or it is a trivial win and we all need to hit the endgame books

I still can't do better than draw.I give up.If I ever get this position I'll offer a draw 😛

toet.
    We might need to hit the endgame books, but not because of this thread. I finally decided to sic my two best engines on this position, and they're struggling to find a winning line. It does look like the queen promotion line is more promising (up to 3 pawns eval), but even it kind of peters out after a while. Eventually, I can't find an eval over around 1.5, which doesn't seem to be clearly winning to me. (Hoping this post will send greenpawn off on another of his anti-box rants. 🙂 )
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:29
    I have to say that this has been one of my favorite threads recently! Rec'd, simply because this did not yield a simple or obvious answer within an hour of the initial post!

Paul
  10. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 14:13
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    (Hoping this post will send greenpawn off on another of his anti-box rants. 🙂 )
    Seems to have failed.I do like to read a good rant.Anything else you can get him,or someone else,to rant about?

toet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree