1. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:46
    I have just accepted an open invite - I met the minimum rating requested and was prepared to play quickly ( as was alos requested ).

My opponent moved. I moved. He deleted the game.

I sent him a message asking why he had deleted the game, saying I was ready to play and quickly.

His reply? Words to the effect of YOUR OPENING DOESN'T SUIT ME...

Do any of you do this??

Must be great - you open e4 for example - every time your opponent plays c5, you delete the game - thereby avoiding the Sicilian if you don't want to play against it...

I'd never do this personally, what's the point??

I know in some ways it can give you an advantage as it limits the openings you have to be prepared against, but surely it's unsporting...
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:51
    Originally posted by saffa73
    I have just accepted an open invite - I met the minimum rating requested and was prepared to play quickly ( as was alos requested ).

I sent him a message asking why he had deleted the game, saying I was ready to play and quickly.

Do ...[text shortened]... ge as it limits the openings you have to be prepared against, but surely it's unsporting...
    Let's get him!

P-
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:52
    Opponent ( or ex opponent ) has now messaged me saying he plays against 90% of openings, just not mine lol

And has put me on ignore... big loss
  4. A galaxy far away
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:53
    what opening did you play?
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:54
    Alekhine's Defence
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:54
    Opponent ( or ex opponent ) has now messaged me saying he plays against 90% of openings, just not mine lol

And has put me on ignore... big loss
    I can't play I guess... I play English as white, and Sicilian when playing black.

P-
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 13:59
    New tactic for me...

Open with 1. a4, then only accept games where my opponent plays 1....b5.

Might not get many games, but an extra pawn in the opening would be handy lol if I did get any takers!

Just kidding.
  8. Maryland, US
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 14:49
    I say just go ahead and move on to the next game. If he doesn't want to play against openings he isn't prepared for then he obviously isn't interested in learning anything either. Only winning. Just don't let that happen to you.
  9. warum?
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:40

Do ...[text shortened]... ge as it limits the openings you have to be prepared against, but surely it's unsporting...
    I understand what you are saying here... but what if they play 1. h4-- I would be tempted myself to delete it. It gives you the impression they are a beginner or a suicidal attacker -- the challenge is not that tempting.

OTOH, I guess you must be ready for anything, so acceptance of the game is the only way to destroy bad openings.

Perhaps one should check out a potential opponents openings before accepting the challenge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree