13 Feb '12 12:06
    Resignation - some of you owe this person an apology 🙂
  2. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 13:09
    Originally posted by tim88
    Resignation - some of you owe this person an apology 🙂
    I appologize and may have spoken too quickly. I am new to this type of play. Nobody else owes an appology as they were generalizing about people who do purposely drag out the inevitable.

He has actually started another game with me so maybe he can get his revenge. I doubt he reads these forums.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Feb '12 00:05
    Originally posted by HighTorque
    I have been playing this game for a few days now and we have been moving consistently today. Averaging moves every 10 minutes or so. I have a forced mate in 1 move and my opponent quit moving. I understand I will get the win eventually but it is still irritating.

Not the prettiest game and I am black.

[pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "h ...[text shortened]... h3 43. Kh1g1 Qh3e3 44. Rg2f2 Qe3g3 45. Rf2g2 Nd2f3 46. Kg1h1 Qg3e1[/pgn]
    It doesn't really irritate me to have to wait in your situation. In other words, I know I am going to win next move and I just don't even think about the game. Especially with a subscription (no 6 game limit) and thus the game is just an upcoming win that is currently deadweight I don't think about until I get the postive feeling of the mate (or their resignation).
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    15 Feb '12 19:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are allowed to do anything
    you can think of except use a computer chess program during the game
    to help you with yor moves. But if you wish to get practice for your over
    the board play, it might be better to play blitz on here.
    Normally I wouldn't criticize my betters on here, but seeing as our OTB ratings are pretty close I'm going to be crass enough to chime in with my two cents.

Blitz is horrible for OTB play with long time controls.

The only two things blitz is good for is to test your opening rep and help you deal with time-trouble. For everything else, it's crap.

When I play OTB, I try to figure out my opponent's plan and then come up with about 3 plans of my own and follow the most efficient one.

You can't do that in blitz. The best you can do is not make a huge blunder and fall prey to a two-move tactic.

The analysis board is great for preparing for OTB play in MHO. Analysis is never bad for chess.

Of course I'm biased.

ICC Standard: 2000
    ICC blitz 1450
  5. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 23:271 edit
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Normally I wouldn't criticize my betters on here, but seeing as our OTB ratings are pretty close I'm going to be crass enough to chime in with my two cents.

Blitz is horrible for OTB play with long time controls.

The only two things blitz is good for is to test your opening rep and help you deal with time-trouble. For everything else, it's crap.

Whe sis is never bad for chess.

Of course I'm biased.

ICC Standard: 2000
    ICC blitz 1450
    Blitz on ICC is a tuff one. My ratings were something like Standard 1800, Blitz 1400, Bullet 1200. I think on ICC you get the more "hardcore" players on the quicker time controls. Some of them bullet players are just crazy. Standard you get more hobby players like on RHP.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 23:32
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Blitz on ICC is a tuff one. My ratings were something like Standard 1800, Blitz 1400, Bullet 1200. I think on ICC you get the more "hardcore" players on the quicker time controls. Some of them bullet players are just crazy. Standard you get more hobby players like on RHP.
    No, its just that the people who tend to play blitz play it all the time and have become good at it. The people who tend to play longer time controls probably are of a similar true strength to many higher rated blitz players but the don't play much blitz.
  7. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    No, its just that the people who tend to play blitz play it all the time and have become good at it. The people who tend to play longer time controls probably are of a similar true strength to many higher rated blitz players but the don't play much blitz.
    But I played blitz all the time and I never got good at it:'(

A blitz or bullet tourn can fill in seconds. Standard tourns can sit for half a hour before filling.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 23:45
    Originally posted by hedonist
    But I played blitz all the time and I never got good at it:'(

A blitz or bullet tourn can fill in seconds. Standard tourns can sit for half a hour before filling.
    What you consider all the time isn't all the time! 😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree