1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 23:514 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    kramnik wasn't refused a toilet, only his private toilet. 🙄 I think that was a perfectly reasonable compromise, given the situation.

I'm pretty sure no normal tournament player would even think of insisting on a private toilet, not even the real 8-year-olds.
    what situation? no one should have the right to make up situations like that. and it wasn't only a private urinal he was refused, you know, it's a restroom where AFAIK you have something of a couch, a 2D demonstration board, some quiet place of your own. It's the only place you can "get away", and you might need that in a WC game.

it's like your girlfriend taking the key to the bathroom (remember the series "coupling" ) . it's a simple little thing but you just need it to be there 🙂

and besides, he had the right before the cheating accuastion. why would he have to compromise anything because topalov turned out to be a huge jerk?

negative questioning like "ok but why wouldn't you just do the simple such and such" is wrong in these situations in my opinion, it objectively means the foulplay is legitimate.

anyway, all this said, Kramnik himself has stated not showing up for the game was wrong on his side. but I still wouldn't call it childish.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 03:561 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    kramnik wasn't refused a toilet, only his private toilet. 🙄 I think that was a perfectly reasonable compromise, given the situation.

I'm pretty sure no normal tournament player would even think of insisting on a private toilet, not even the real 8-year-olds.
    But it wasn't just some 'normal' tournament. It's the world championship match. They're playing under contract. IIRC, the contract granted Kramnik his own restroom. I would have done the same as Kramnik, if only to send a psychological message that I won't be pushed around, neither on, nor off the board.
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 07:02
    Originally posted by Guych
    What happened in Elista?
    The toiletgate ! never heard about it ? Another case of paranoia during a chessmatch

Check this :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2006#Bathroom_controversy
  4. Cyberspace
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 06:481 edit
    Originally posted by philidor position
    [b]kramnik had very little control over the circumstances in elista, and topalov managed to make it his home ground.
    Absolutely. Remember topalov was the FIDE champion and Kramnik the unofficial world champion. And FIDE colluded with Topalovs team to make sure its team won (which didnt happen) Wonder who FIDE is supporting this time around. 😞
  5. Cyberspace
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 07:23
    Even the challenger match b/w Kamsky and Topalov was played in sofia ( despite Kamsky's reservations.) Very convenient for Topalov dont you think?
  6. Alabama
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 17:061 edit
    Maybe tournament games should be played in a lavatory with both players already seated on a toilet, with the chessboard between them! 😉
  7. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 18:29
    Originally posted by Ohforf
    Maybe tournament games should be played in a lavatory with both players already seated on a toilet, with the chessboard between them! 😉
    might put them off a bit don't you think 😀
  8. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Nov '09 17:41
    might put them off a bit don't you think
    Why?
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Nov '09 18:31
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Why?
    chemical warfare, and kramnik comes from the land of borsch. that's an unfair advantage!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree