1. Cyberspace
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 05:10
    ..... for agreeing to play in sofia, Bulgaria? How the hell does he expect to get a fair match? Especially with that cheating cunning Danailov by Topalovs side. Man I think the match is already over...
  2. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 05:27
    Originally posted by arterioes
    ..... for agreeing to play in sofia, Bulgaria? How the hell does he expect to get a fair match? Especially with that cheating cunning Danailov by Topalovs side. Man I think the match is already over...
    Please use a fairplay ticket, then send it to the governing body. 😕
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 08:18
    first, the venue is not that important in chess as it is in other sports...

the second, it is about money...the offer from Bulgaria was much bigger than anything available, and they usually split the prize money, so of course he would like to earn as much as possible while being world champion...
  4. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 09:39
    How the hell does he expect to get a fair match?
    Anand probably assumes they'll use a regular tournament set & board
  5. Cyberspace
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:12
    Originally posted by vipiu
    first, the venue is not that important in chess as it is in other sports...

the second, it is about money...the offer from Bulgaria was much bigger than anything available, and they usually split the prize money, so of course he would like to earn as much as possible while being world champion...
    Yeah its about the money... for FIDE, not the players. Besides i would think he would earn more money from endorsements and tournament invites if he stayed world champion.
    And the venue absolutely does matter. Topalov would feel absolutely more comfortable than anand..
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:141 edit
    Yeah its about the money... for FIDE, not the players. Besides i would think he would earn more money from endorsements and tournament invites if he stayed world champion.
    And the venue absolutely does matter. Topalov would feel absolutely more comfortable than anand..
    I think that Vishy has more confidence in his moves than in where he plays those moves. You people seem to be suggesting that the venue shall win Toplov the match , rather than his moves.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:38
    are you?
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:50
    Kramnik said he wouldn't have agreed to play topy in bulgaria, especially after what happened in elista (although it can be argued that elista is part of russia)

But i'm not sure it's such a bad decision...after the elista scandal, topalov 's team has earned a pretty bad reputation, and i don't think they can offer another scandal, so they might do everything to make the conditions fair to anand, so they can say after the match :
    "see? we're not like the russians"
    or
    "the good conditions of play with anand show it was kramnik that brought trouble, not topalov"
  9. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 13:30
    Originally posted by shorbock
    Kramnik said he wouldn't have agreed to play topy in bulgaria, especially after what happened in elista (although it can be argued that elista is part of russia)..."
    What happened in Elista?
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 13:44
    Originally posted by shorbock
    Kramnik said he wouldn't have agreed to play topy in bulgaria, especially after what happened in elista (although it can be argued that elista is part of russia)

But i'm not sure it's such a bad decision...after the elista scandal, topalov 's team has earned a pretty bad reputation, and i don't think they can offer another scandal, so they might do every ...[text shortened]... d conditions of play with anand show it was kramnik that brought trouble, not topalov"
    I think there are some things a bit backwards there.

elista, in russia.
    kramnik, a russian.

so, if anything, it was actually topalov who was on 'hostile' ground, not kramnik. and even though topalov's manager acted like an 8-year-old, it wasn't like kramnik was totally innocent himself. I mean, he's on his home turf, in his country which isn't exactly known for fair play in the past, and he knows topalov is the kind of semi-unstable guy who brings in his personal psychic with his team. so kramnik does the toilet trick after every move, just to drive topalov nuts. and it worked, more than well. but unfortunately for him he underestimated topalov's reaction, and got caught in the waves. then we suddenly had two 8-year-olds arguing and a ridiculous mess.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I think there are some things a bit backwards there.

elista, in russia.
    kramnik, a russian.

so, if anything, it was actually topalov who was on 'hostile' ground, not kramnik. and even though topalov's manager acted like an 8-year-old, it wasn't like kramnik was totally innocent himself. I mean, he's on his home turf, in his country which isn't exactl caught in the waves. then we suddenly had two 8-year-olds arguing and a ridiculous mess.
    kramnik had very little control over the circumstances in elista, and topalov managed to make it his home ground.

you have built a nice story there about Kramnik trying to drive topalov nuts by going to the toilet very often and it backfiring, but to be honest it makes little sense to me. first, he isn't exactly the type of character to go cheap, second, he was on heavy medication during the match due to his back problem and this caused him to visit the bathroom more often than usual.

he went to the bathroom quite often in bonn too though not as much. he said he found the quiet and the 2D demonstration board there comfortable.

Topalov was simply being a stupid, obnoxious jerk and there's no reason to make Kramnik a part of this scandal. So it wasn't 2 8 year olds fighting, it was more like an 8 year old is driving an adult nuts but he can't do anything about it.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 14:22
    Originally posted by philidor position
    kramnik had very little control over the circumstances in elista, and topalov managed to make it his home ground.

you have built a nice story there about Kramnik trying to drive topalov nuts by going to the toilet very often and it backfiring, but to be honest it makes little sense to me. first, he isn't exactly the type of character to go chea ...[text shortened]... , it was more like an 8 year old is driving an adult nuts but he can't do anything about it.
    15:00h: The start of the game has been delayed to settle the controversy between the two sides.

15:30h: Topalov is sitting at the board, Kramnik's clock is running. The "game" was started at 15:22h Elista time.

15:45h: Kramnik is in his rest room, and is waiting for his toilet to open. The press conference of Makropoulos is about to start. So far it seems the game is not going to start unless the toilet is opened...

16:15h: We do not know whether the forfeit is official, but by normal rules Kramnik has lost game five on time.

Walter Sobchak: "Eight-year-olds, Dude."
  13. Joined
    11 Sep '09
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 19:22
    It's nothing compared to Karpov-Korchnoi in Baguio 78... I've just read Wladyslaw Litmanowicz's diary entries about it. These guys must have really hated each other...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 22:042 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    15:00h: The start of the game has been delayed to settle the controversy between the two sides.

15:30h: Topalov is sitting at the board, Kramnik's clock is running. The "game" was started at 15:22h Elista time.

15:45h: Kramnik is in his rest room, and is waiting for his toilet to open. The press conference of Makropoulos is about to start. So far it s ...[text shortened]... ules Kramnik has lost game five on time.

Walter Sobchak: "Eight-year-olds, Dude."
    so when someone deprives you of a private bathroom in a world championship match because of ridiculous accusations of cheating and you protest to that, you're automatically an 8 year old? you would take all at with easy come easy go adult coolness?
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 23:30
    Originally posted by philidor position
    so when someone deprives you of a private bathroom in a world championship match because of ridiculous accusations of cheating and you protest to that, you're automatically an 8 year old? you would take all at with easy come easy go adult coolness?
    kramnik wasn't refused a toilet, only his private toilet. 🙄 I think that was a perfectly reasonable compromise, given the situation.

I'm pretty sure no normal tournament player would even think of insisting on a private toilet, not even the real 8-year-olds.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree