Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 13 Dec '08 05:46
    here's a question many people have asked me. Is chess a sport? What do you think?
  2. 13 Dec '08 06:44
    Originally posted by jman566
    here's a question many people have asked me. Is chess a sport? What do you think?
    I think it's a board game.
  3. 13 Dec '08 07:13
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I think it's a board game.
    And i think football. soccer is also just a game. i think it is a sport
  4. 13 Dec '08 08:20
    Originally posted by jman566
    personally? no...
    however, go to wikipedia and it seems like it might qualify
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
  5. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    13 Dec '08 08:28 / 1 edit
    Technically it depends on which definition of sport you are using. If someone were to ask me what sports I play I would not answer chess.

But, in my opinion this doesn't matter at all. The bottom line is I respect Garry Kasparov just as much as I respect Michael Jordan, because both perfected their demanding craft with hardwork and dedication. I won't forget Kasparov's long run as World Champ, or the legendary leader of the Bulls for an era. The legacies that these 'one in a million' types leave behind is a million times more important than semantics.

I guess my point is sport or not it is of equal value to the standard sports.
  6. 13 Dec '08 10:09
  7. 13 Dec '08 10:44
    A small sample from wikipedia about chess:

"The tradition of organized competitive chess started in the 16th century and has developed extensively. Chess today is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee. The first official World Chess Champion, Wilhelm Steinitz, claimed his title in 1886; Viswanathan Anand is the current World Champion. Theoreticians have developed extensive chess strategies and tactics since the game's inception. Aspects of art are found in chess composition."

Also top chess players needs to be in excellent physical condition, to avoid fatigue during a tournament.
  8. Standard member Robrobbie
    The Blues Boy
    13 Dec '08 11:44
    no
  9. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    13 Dec '08 14:22
    yes
  10. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    13 Dec '08 14:27
    Originally posted by kNIGHTHEAD
    yes
    It's all just semantics questions really. Word "sport" doesn't reffer only to physical activity games.

Here is wikipedia quote :

Sport is activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Sports differ from games based on levels of organization and profit (not always monetary). Accurate records are kept and updated, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.
  11. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    13 Dec '08 14:39
    This is not the first time this question has been posted on rhp forum. The answer is that most people identify chess as a,' boardgame', not essentially requiring that the majority of activity be physical. In order to properly qualify as a sport any activity should require that atleast a majority of effort , be physical effort. As it is possible to avoid almost any physical effort to play chess and most other 'boardgames' the correct technical term for 'chess' is game and not sport. However long periods at chess boards often become physically tiring ,leading many people to incorrectly identify chess as a true sporting activity.
  12. 13 Dec '08 14:46 / 1 edit
    Absolutely. It is way more a sport than poker, which is on ESPN (sports channel) quite a bit. "Sport" does have a broad meaning. Americans tend to only attribute pure physical games to sports; I think in other countries where competitive chess is more popular recognize the sport value in Chess.

I've said before that there is a physical element to chess, more in the realm of fatigue/stamina.

All the basic elements are there as well, such as: preparation, determination, skill, talent, competition, fighting spirit, etc.
  13. 13 Dec '08 16:10
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    This is not the first time this question has been posted on rhp forum. The answer is that most people identify chess as a,' boardgame', not essentially requiring that the majority of activity be physical. In order to properly qualify as a sport any activity should require that atleast a majority of effort , be physical effort. As it is possible to avoid almo ...[text shortened]... lly tiring ,leading many people to incorrectly identify chess as a true sporting activity.
    But board games rely on luck. Roling a dice, getting the right card at the right time. There is no luck in chess, only skill.
  14. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    13 Dec '08 16:29
    An undisputed fact is that chess is played on a 64 square game board containing 32 gameboard pieces,and as such is first and foremost a competitive game,as most games are and has sporting elements as distinct from 'being a sport'. Therefore in a very broad and loose sense it would be acceptable to describe chess as a boardgame containing sporting qualities,which is this quite probably the most accurate way to desribe chess.-----------
  15. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    13 Dec '08 16:31
    I still insist that we have first to agree not about whenever chess is a sport but what is sport !