is chess a sport?

is chess a sport?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
13 Dec 08

Personally I think it IS a sport...but like any sport there is an element of art to it.

STS

Moves
13 Dec 08
1 edit

Odd how many chess players are poor sports, and poor at sports.

P
pawn grabber

Moves
13 Dec 08
1 edit

Maybe they should make the chesspieces heavier ( eg. embed some lead into them etc. ) to generate more fatigue while playing. Perhaps then chess has a bigger chance to be recognized as a sport by the majority. :-)

I once saw two players playing blitz with a huge garden chess set ( the "board" was integrated into the floor with big chesspieces; you needed both hands to move them around). The players ran after every move from the board to the chessclock and backwards. Looked funny ... and without any doubt, this was sport. :-)

g

Moves
13 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Odd how many chess players are poor sports, and poor at sports.
You can find poor sportsmanship in any form of competition.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
13 Dec 08

Perhaps if the Knights were forced to wear heavy metal fighting suits as in centuries past,the Bishops loaded down with the usual heavy gold chains,the rooks made of old solid stone,and the Kings and Queens with heavy golden crowns,it is possible that the word' sport 'may be taken more seriously by some chess players than at present. Naturally the pawns will be sent out'over the top' naked and with nothing more than a hopeless battle plan. Does this sound more like a 'sport' now,or is it even less sporting than before??

EE1

Moves
14 Dec 08

COOL

EE1

Moves
14 Dec 08

WHATS UP GUYS?

JE

Moves
14 Dec 08

Chessboxing is a sport.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
14 Dec 08

Originally posted by jman566
here's a question many people have asked me. Is chess a sport? What do you think?
Chess has been called an art, science, and sport. Frankly I think a bit of all of these. 😏

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
14 Dec 08

Originally posted by bill718
Chess has been called an art, science, and sport. Frankly I think a bit of all of these. 😏
I once got a mild muscle fiber in my hand after whole night of blitzing. Does that count as a sport fatique ?

c

USA

Moves
14 Dec 08

I believe chess is a sport, and for a few reasons

1) There is no element of chance (other than who has white or black, but this is negligible)
2) It is played competitively
3) It requires a great deal of skill to become good at it
4) If Americans watch poker on ESPN (poker is not a sport) and NASCAR, which involves no more physical activity then pressing a pedal and turning a wheel, then why not chess?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
15 Dec 08

Originally posted by ivan2908
I once got a mild muscle fiber in my hand after whole night of blitzing. Does that count as a sport fatique ?
Yes...Try to "blitz" more carefully next time! 😏

k

washington

Moves
16 Dec 08

Originally posted by passedpawn22
Absolutely. It is way more a sport than poker, which is on ESPN (sports channel) quite a bit. "Sport" does have a broad meaning. Americans tend to only attribute pure physical games to sports; I think in other countries where competitive chess is more popular recognize the sport value in Chess.

I've said before that there is a physical element t ...[text shortened]... well, such as: preparation, determination, skill, talent, competition, fighting spirit, etc.
Thats a harsh generalization of saying chess is more of a sport than poker. Thats like saying football is more of a sport than tennis because there is more contact. I don't consider chess a sport, but it has competition just like many other "hobbies" if you will, such as, poker, dominoes, scrabble, spelling B's. All of which are on espn. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but poker was displayed when kasparov was playing in the 70's on the sports channel, but was too boring for the masses to watch. Poker is a faster paced game that has more excitement than in chess in all reality. How can you market a 3-5 hour game that turns out to be a draw half of the time? I love the game of chess, but there are many reasons that it isn't aired on tv. Is competative gaming a sport? Its on espn. ;-)