1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 May '19 11:47
    Is it a blunder if you do not know the move is a blunder? Or would you just be considered a lesser player because you do not understand why that move really sucked.

I guess the real question is if a blunder is a relative term.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 May '19 13:241 edit
    @eladar said
    Is it a blunder if you do not know the move is a blunder? Or would you just be considered a lesser player because you do not understand why that move really sucked.

I think generally a blunder is in the eye of the beholder, however a move that immediately loses the game, or material when better moves are available takes the definition out of the grey area, and into the light.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 May '19 14:52
    @mchill said
    I think generally a blunder is in the eye of the beholder, however a move that immediately loses the game, or material when better moves are available takes the definition out of the grey area, and into the light.
    What is losing depends on the level of players.
  4. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    02 May '19 01:17
    Almost all moves of weak players is a blunder.
    Ya a recapture is easy and development is easy but coming up with a plan and making the proper moves is hard so most of the time players under 1800 are always blundering.
    Try playing a master when you are under 1800 and you lose usually to a tactic and it can be traced back to a move that is a blunder even though the weaker player doesn't understand it.
    So it all comes down to who is playing.
    2 players at 1300 don't know they are blundering but they are so I guess it isn't blundering? 🤔
    Just weak play.
    Good topic for discussion.
    I don't know the answer.
  5. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    02 May '19 01:18
    @eladar said
    What is losing depends on the level of players.
    Agreed
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '19 02:07
    @chessturd

I just played my first game in 300 days. I played a 1200 who played poorly but I remember fumbling around like that myself. If you do not know the tactic how can you guard against it, but if you fall for it knowing better it is a blunder.

As you said..a plan. Strategic blunders..pawn blunders...so many ways to screw up.

I started trying to understand chess when I was 38 so I still remember making huge mistakes I see and very poorly trying to follow advice.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 May '19 10:39
    @eladar said

Well like everything we Need a Definition before we can calibrate Things.

I sometimes use a Programm to evaluate my games. In that one they flag moves as "best" within asmall fraction of pawns worth, as error any move less than 0.5 below the Computers best and a blunder less than 1.0 panw worth.

Astonishingly I get a good percentage (around 30% typically) of my moves flagged as "best". But I am still a wealk Player, and there is no game where is there is no blunder or even what I call horrendous blunder (losing the value of a figure without compnsation).

The Problem is that a more advanced Programm or a longer claculatio time will probaly alter the value of the moves...
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '19 12:23
    @Ponderable

Seems to me that the word blunder implies you are doing something that you know you should not do.

By your definition blunders are much like theory where new lines of best play can improve on and redefine exactly what a blunder is but most people do nit understand why it is a blunder. If it is not understoid then it is pretty useless in my book.
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    02 May '19 12:36
    Theoretically every move in a loss is a blunder
  10. e4
    Moves
    02 May '19 13:08
    Wiki covers is quite well with a few famous examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunder_(chess)

(how come the lad got 4 red marks - seems a sensible chess question - I gave it a green.)
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '19 14:02
    @greenpawn34

Some people do not like me.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '19 22:001 edit
    I just read wiki. Looks like they agree with me in that blunder means you knew better but made a mistake based on bad play.

Some blunders are obvious but sometimes it takes a few moves to see what that pawn move did to your position.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 May '19 17:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 May '19 17:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 May '19 17:492 edits
    @Eladar

In my opinion, a blunder is a move which loses immediately to a tactical refutation, whereas positional misjudgment loses slowly to strategic constriction.

I also think a certain level of proficiency is required to even begin to understand strategy, so that at novice levels, nearly all games are lost due to blunders rather than positional misjudgment.

As for whether the player knows it's a blunder or a positional misjudgment when he plays it: in the latter case, it may require long post mortem analysis and the help of a stronger player to spot the exact move or sequence of moves which constituted a positional error; whereas an OTB blunder is usually spotted just as you push your button on the clock, accompanied by a characteristic rush of blood to the face and a silent 'oh shirt!' If you do not know it is a blunder then, you will know it when your opponent knows it.

As Tartakower said, "the winner is the player who makes the second to last mistake."

No TD from me. Honest question, honest answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree