1. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 18:16
    I recently played this position in a very important tournament game, but lost. Is it possible to draw?

2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 18:33
    Originally posted by moteutsch
    Is it possible to draw?
    I would say no - that is, I would not be able to draw with the Black pieces. The holes seem too big.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 19:20
    What about Ra6 and Rg6 followed by Kg7?
    I'd lean towards a hard fought draw with correct play, but I'm no endgame expert.
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 19:27
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I'd lean towards a hard fought draw with correct play, but I'm no endgame expert.
    On first sight I would have thought it was a draw.

Black's weaknesses are close enought together to defend, and although the king is cut off at the moment I don't see how white can attack them without allowing the black king out of the box.

Start with ..h6 and ...Kh7 and see how white intends to improve his position; the rook is positioned perfectly well at the moment on the 7th.
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 19:47
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I think the pawn endgame is lost.

It should be possible to draw the original position, but I think it will be very difficult. I wonder if moteutsch can post the game continuation so we have something to work with?

White's typical plan is to take as much space as possible with the pawns so as to choke the black king and/or creating an advanced passed pawn at some point. Black typically places his pawns like g6/h5 or f5/g6 so any g4-advance by white means a pawn exchange which brings the game closer to a drawn rook ending.
    The problem with the diagram is that such an advance by black is double-edged because it will make the pawns very weak.
  6. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 21:48
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    I think the pawn endgame is lost.

It should be possible to draw the original position, but I think it will be very difficult. I wonder if moteutsch can post the game continuation so we have something to work with?

White's typical plan is to take as much space as possible with the pawns so as to choke the black king and/or creating an advanced passed p ...[text shortened]... ram is that such an advance by black is double-edged because it will make the pawns very weak.
    Had a wee look at this and think it is an easy draw.

Black plays ...h6,...Kh7,...f6,...h5 (the best pawn structure for him I believe) and I don't see how white can...

a) stop Black from achieving this set-up
    b) break down the defence once it's in place

Could be wrong of course, but can't see it at the moment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree