1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 15:551 edit
    I mean seriously? This guy is such a bone head! Every time he opens his mouth, he is bemoaning how He and Topalov are not being treated correctly, bla bla bla, but as far as i can see the two of them are responsible for pretty much all the bad mouthing, underhand, down right borderline cheating in World chess.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6571

Here he is, AGAIN, attacking Kramnik, complaining about the World championship in Sofia (Errr, Topalovs HOME TERRITORY...how can he possibly have been treated badly AT HOME?????) When is he going to realise that Topalov clearly isn't going to become World champion again. Losing to Anand was his last reasonable chance, get over it man!

If Danailov gets elected to top the ECF it will be a dark dark day for chess. What a tool! 😠
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 17:111 edit
    so danailov is crazy and playing a russian player in his home dictatorship is completely without problems? it's a country with no free media, where journalists and activists get murdered on their doorstep, the putin's puppet president wins the election by landslide in the state which is in civil war against russia, where kasparov gets forced out of the presidential election due to threats against the lives of his children?

don't you guys have any idea what's been going on in russia for the last decade? btw, medvedev have just announced he's not going to challenge putin in the next presidential election. now there's a shocker...

(for those who don't know, putin 'stepped down' after his constitutionally limited presidential terms were up, put his puppet up as a president for one term to circumvent the constitution, reigned this term as the prime minister, and is now taking back the presidency. put the kgb in power, and that's what you get.)
  3. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 17:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    so danailov is crazy and playing a russian player in his home dictatorship is completely without problems? it's a country with no free media, where journalists and activists get murdered on their doorstep, the putin's puppet president wins the election by landslide in the state which is in civil war against russia, where kasparov gets forced out of t ...[text shortened]... and is now taking back the presidency. put the kgb in power, and that's what you get.)
    Okay, maybe I can try to answer this, since I lived in Ulyanovsk in 2000.

Russia is a terrible place for freedom of journalism, freedom of speech, etc., Putin has abused his power without question.

But a boycott against Russia by team Topa has nothing to do with real fear or ideology. It has everything to do with Vladimir Kramnik.

That being said, I like Danailov a lot. He's a great dresser.
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 17:46
    Putin doesn't care about chess anyway.
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 18:14
    I agree with the dressing part Thabtos. Good tailor maybe.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 23:43
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I mean seriously? This guy is such a bone head! Every time he opens his mouth, he is bemoaning how He and Topalov are not being treated correctly, bla bla bla, but as far as i can see the two of them are responsible for pretty much all the bad mouthing, underhand, down right borderline cheating in World chess.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?n ...[text shortened]...
    If Danailov gets elected to top the ECF it will be a dark dark day for chess. What a tool! 😠
    A guy named Danailov stole my wardrobe and fled the US. If it's the same guy, I'm coming after him.

Right after I visit Scotland and have a pint with Geoff and Robbie!
  7. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 23:47
    That'll be more than one pint, knowing the Scots 😛
  8. on your backrank!
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 23:56
    short answer to op
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 01:28
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    That being said, I like Danailov a lot. He's a great dresser.
    hahahah! 🙂

yeah... well, my real chagrin with all of this is that although danailov no doubt goes to extremes with his reactions, looking after topalov's interests really is his JOB. he's the kind of guy you'd want in your corner, raising hell whenever there's something possibly threatening the interests of topalov.

what you don't want is a timid pushover who always reacts with a "I'm sure it'll be alright, no need to do anything."

but I also like how the fide president put his foot down and nipped it all in the bud. failing to do the same before (in chess history, not just regarding ilyumzhinov) is what's created all the problems in the past.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 01:58
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    A guy named Danailov stole my wardrobe and fled the US. If it's the same guy, I'm coming after him.

Right after I visit Scotland and have a pint with Geoff and Robbie!
    Take it easy on the booze, kills a lot of brain cells!

Watch out Danailov doesn't pound you. That would add insult to injury after stealing your clothes. 😞
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 02:271 edit

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?n
    Is this guy a chess player, or just a mouthpiece? My tolerance for noise goes up a bit if the guy can play- it doesn't go up much, but at least I won't view him as a pretender.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 14:491 edit
    so danailov is crazy and playing a russian player in his home dictatorship is completely without problems? it's a country with no free media, where journalists and activists get murdered on their doorstep, the putin's puppet president wins the election by landslide in the state which is in civil war against russia, where kasparov gets forced out of t and is now taking back the presidency. put the kgb in power, and that's what you get.)
    Look i don't doubt anything you're saying here, i'm just pointing out that no other participants feel the need to come out in public and pour scorn on FIDE or any of their fellow competitors. All he ever seems to do is bad mouth people, it does my head in....It's not like he's important. He's making a name for himself by shooting his mouth off about one of the greatest players in chess history. In 100 years plenty of people will remember Kramnik as he actually did something spectacular with his life. Danilov is just a leach with a bi mouth.😠
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 15:06
    Danailov is Pugnacious- probably a necessary trait to get anywhere in chess politics. I don't care for him though.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 15:15
    In 100 years plenty of people will remember Kramnik as he actually did something spectacular with his life.
    ah yes, he'll be remembered as the most boring and drawing world champion during the dark ages between the reign of king kasparov and magnus the magnificent.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 23:18
    ah yes, he'll be remembered as the most boring and drawing world champion during the dark ages between the reign of king kasparov and magnus the magnificent.
    So what are your views on Petrosian then? He drew more games than perhaps any World champion, but he's arguably the most useful player to study if you wish to understand the art of defence, Stanitz being perhaps the only other example. Being a good chess player isn't always about being spectacular. As for Danilov, when was the last time you studied any of his games?? ...Exactly, never!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree