Is it possible to like Silvio Danailov?

Is it possible to like Silvio Danailov?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
04 Aug 10

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
So what are your views on Petrosian then? He drew more games than perhaps any World champion, but he's arguably the most useful player to study if you wish to understand the art of defence, Stanitz being perhaps the only other example. Being a good chess player isn't always about being spectacular. As for Danilov, when was the last time you studied any of his games?? ...Exactly, never!
Petrosian also sacrificed more material than any other world champion (a penchant for sacrificing the exchange in closed positions).

I don't know about the draw part- if we're only talking about World Champion matches, that first Karpov-Kasparov match probably put them at the top of the list!

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
05 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Petrosian also sacrificed more material than any other world champion (a penchant for sacrificing the exchange in closed positions).

I don't know about the draw part- if we're only talking about World Champion matches, that first Karpov-Kasparov match probably put them at the top of the list!
Well here are his stats copied from chessgames.com...

Number of games in database: 1,939
Years covered: 1942 to 1994
Highest rating achieved in database: 2645
Overall record: +696 -160 =1072 (63.9% )*

Compared to Kasparov..

Number of games in database: 2,342
Years covered: 1973 to 2010
Current FIDE rating: 2812
Highest rating achieved in database: 2851
Overall record: +922 -160 =859 (69.6% )

Fischer..

Number of games in database: 966
Years covered: 1953 to 1992
Current FIDE rating: 2780
Highest rating achieved in database: 2785
Overall record: +451 -88 =249 (73.0% )

(What a record!!)

Karpov..

Number of games in database: 3,454
Years covered: 1961 to 2009
Current FIDE rating: 2619
Highest rating achieved in database: 2780
Overall record: +1134 -358 =1459

(I think Karpovs results are slightly scewed as his playing strength dropped somewhat over the last 10 years of his career but he remained pretty active...)

Tal..

Number of games in database: 2,827
Years covered: 1949 to 1992
Overall record: +1146 -310 =1324 (65.0% )

Well the stats perhaps don't suggest Petrosian was drawish, his win percentage seems to be pretty in line with these other WC's. He was renowned for being exceptionally hard to beat, perhaps the drawish reputation is in accurate.. 🙂

T
I am become Death

Moves
05 Aug 10

Originally posted by Paul Leggett

!
This brings to mind a game ah saw in a database between Petrosian and Tal long after they were WC's. The thing about this game was that Tal played a pretty positional game, just strengthening his position quietly, and it was Petrosian who engaged in a couple of wild sacs to get the win.

One thing about Petrosian is that he was a tactical master. He might not have used the tactics to attack, but he had to have extensive knowledge of combinations to defend the way he did.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
05 Aug 10

Well here are his stats copied from chessgames.com...

Number of games in database: 1,939
Years covered: 1942 to 1994
Overall record: +696 -160 =1072 (63.9% )*

Compared to Kasparov..

Number of games in database: 2,342
Years covered: 1973 to 2010
Current FIDE rating: 2812
Highest rating achieved in d ...[text shortened]... owned for being exceptionally hard to beat, perhaps the drawish reputation is in accurate.. 🙂
It's very possible that Petrosian could be considered a "draw master' simply because he managed to draw games others would have lost.

I read a recent Karpov interview where Karpov said that he (Karpov) thought that one of his own strengths was that he was an excellent and tenacious defender, drawing games others would have lost.

I guess the real assessment and valuation of a draw depends on who it was against!

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
05 Aug 10

Originally posted by Thabtos
This brings to mind a game ah saw in a database between Petrosian and Tal long after they were WC's. The thing about this game was that Tal played a pretty positional game, just strengthening his position quietly, and it was Petrosian who engaged in a couple of wild sacs to get the win.

One thing about Petrosian is that he was a tactical master. He mig ...[text shortened]... ics to attack, but he had to have extensive knowledge of combinations to defend the way he did.
Every World Champion is a master of all the fundamentals of the game (how's that for a keen grasp of the obvious on my part...) and I like to look at is as them all having the "recipe" down pat, and they each add unique "spices" to individualize their play.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
29 Sep 10

Oh dear God, Danailov has just been elected president of the European chess federation. A dark day for chess! 😞

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
29 Sep 10

Oh dear God, Danailov has just been elected president of the European chess federation. A dark day for chess! 😞
I knew there was a problem when, at one of the polling places, a tiny car pulled up and a bunch of clowns got out to vote.