1. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 03:49
    One of my favorite topics. I appreciate both those who resign when their position becomes a clear loser, and those who play to the end, even if they've clearly lost.

What ticks me off are the idjits that will play a losing position forever, and then resign right before checkmate.

If someone is one or two moves away....play it through.

There are no rules -- but this is my opinion on the subject.

Nonny
  2. Dublin
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 09:55
    Originally posted by nonnymoose
    What ticks me off are the idjits that will play a losing position forever, and then resign right before checkmate.
    I agree, this is annoying. It’s obviously their own business when to resign and I’d never ask someone to resign as that’d be really rude but if you’re going to insist on me demonstrating that I can checkmate with a queen and king against a king, what’s the point in resigning at mate in 1?

I usually resign when there’s no chance of getting any kind of counterplay and a piece down or in an easy endgame. I’ve got draws in positions where I’m an exchange down though, (and once with knight against queen in a rapidplay game 🙂) so I wouldn’t resign there unless the position was bad too.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 10:04
    It totally depends of whom I'm plaing against.

If the opponent is several 100 rating points above me, I tend to resign earlier when down in material. Or not, if the game is interesting.
    If the opponent is several 100 rating points below me, I tend to resign later when down in material, since lower players are more blunder prone.
    If it is a must-to-win game, I continue to play a lost game.
    If it is against an opponent known to blunders, known not to handle end games well, or other interesting reason, I continue playing.

But I rarely let the game go to a mate. (If not surprised by it.)
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 17:33
    Originally posted by sporadic
    When you are losing and you are one or two moves away from mate, should you just resign or give your opponent the satisfaction of completing their little master plan?

Sometimes when i'm being outplayed I'm so gutted I would rather resign than suffer a check mate.

On the other hand, when i'm winning I would like to see the completion of the game and am ...[text shortened]... a bit peeved when my opponent resigns.

What do you think? Is their an etiquette for this?
    I've had a few times where I've resigned after a bad blunder on the blitz site here...just so the person can tell me I should have let them finish the game, and then they refuse to play me again...
    it's best to ignore children like that

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree