1. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:51
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    Otb in a complex middlegame I once made a nice 8 move combo,including a double piece sac (not all worked of course,it involved some instinct),leading up to a pretty smothered mate.3 moves before conclusion my opponent saw the mate and resigned.I didn't like that.Bit of an anticlimax 😞
    I agree. Typically I will resign, but if I see a really pretty move in the offing I would play on and let my opponent make it.
  2. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:46
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    >The shortest ever GM game was Fischer-Panno, Palma de Mallorca 1970.
    >The complete game was: 1.c4 Resigns.
    If only Panno knew about 1... g5!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by sporadic
    When you are losing and you are one or two moves away from mate, should you just resign or give your opponent the satisfaction of completing their little master plan?

Sometimes when i'm being outplayed I'm so gutted I would rather resign than suffer a check mate.

On the other hand, when i'm winning I would like to see the completion of the game and am ...[text shortened]... a bit peeved when my opponent resigns.

What do you think? Is their an etiquette for this?
    If you see mate is inevitable, only a newbie insists on playing on. People who get checkmated in tournaments are required to wear their underwear on their heads the next round with a big sign on their back saying "I'm a big n00b and got mated".

Or they should be.
  4. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 21:39
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    If you see mate is inevitable, only a newbie insists on playing on. People who get checkmated in tournaments are required to wear their underwear on their heads the next round with a big sign on their back saying "I'm a big n00b and got mated".

Or they should be.
    I disagree. I don't want to be at ANY chess tournament with anyone wearing underwear on their heads! The signs might add some spice though.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 02:48
    When you are losing and you are one or two moves away from mate, should you just resign or give your opponent the satisfaction of completing their little master plan?

Sometimes when i'm being outplayed I'm so gutted I would rather resign than suffer a check mate.

On the other hand, when i'm winning I would like to see the completion of the game and am ...[text shortened]... a bit peeved when my opponent resigns.

It is really your decision: Sometimes I will allow the checkmate, but mostly I will resign before it. Some players think, if you allow the checkmate you didn't see it, which is not the case, ( although it does happen from time to time to everyone)! Even the GM's have been known to miss a mate in one, so I wouldn't resign to early. 😉
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 07:19
    Originally posted by MrHand
    I disagree. I don't want to be at ANY chess tournament with anyone wearing underwear on their heads! The signs might add some spice though.
    Who are we talking about? Male noobs or female ones?
  7. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 14:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Who are we talking about? Male noobs or female ones?
    Hmmm, well, can I put a clause that it depends on the female??
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 15:121 edit

If my opponent is about to pull off a checkmate in a couple of moves I'll let them play it out as a courtesy.

On the other hand if my opponent has obviously won the game without question but it will take many moves to complete then I will resign unless there is a legitimate chance that they will time out.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 16:23
    Originally posted by Ullr
    If my opponent is about to pull off a checkmate in a couple of moves I'll let them play it out as a courtesy.
    How people differ in what is courteous and what is not.

You see if I have an obvious forced mate in a couple of moves and I think my opponent has seen it and knows I know how to finish but does not resign I find it dis courteous.

Now of course it is his right to play on until I end it and I cannot fault that. If he wants to see the beauty of my mating attack he is welcome to do so but he is not being courteous to me by making me do it.
  10. Standard membermbakunin
    Radio Gnome
    Planet Gong
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 22:23
    i always play to the bitter end, unless the mate is forced. i've seen strong players time out, and i've seen strong players make mistakes. all it takes is one little mistake, and you're back in. so why resign?
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 00:281 edit
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    i always play to the bitter end, unless the mate is forced. i've seen strong players time out, and i've seen strong players make mistakes. all it takes is one little mistake, and you're back in. so why resign?
    The odds are pretty good if you are playing Dragon Fire and he has a mate in say 3 or 4 and you see it, he most certainly saw it too. Now someone around my rating, hang in there, cause you never know. 😉
  12. Joined
    12 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 15:52
    I might consider to allow myself to get mated by a female. 😀
  13. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 16:03
    I tend to resign when I'm out of tricks and the loss is clear cut. Playing on until you get one of those red rotating stars isn't a bad idea either. 🙂
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 18:49
    No. It is never ungentlemanly to resign, not is it unladylike. That is it is never a breach of manners or decorum to resign a lost position. Resigning in an even position, on the other hand, is unsporting.
  15. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 03:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree