Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 01 Mar '09 21:33 / 1 edit
    Was recently playing on the K+N side, and I couldn't figure out if it were a draw or not.
  2. 01 Mar '09 21:36
    Originally posted by range blasts
    Was recently playing on the K+N side, and I couldn't figure out if it were a draw or not.
    No, it's a fairly easy win for the side with K+Q.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    01 Mar '09 21:37
    Originally posted by range blasts
    Was recently playing on the K+N side, and I couldn't figure out if it were a draw or not.
    No, it's a pretty easy win for the Queen with anything like proper play. Sooner or later the inferior force has to give up the Knight to prevent mate.
  4. 01 Mar '09 21:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No, it's a pretty easy win for the Queen with anything like proper play. Sooner or later the inferior force has to give up the Knight to prevent mate.
    I was a minute quicker than you. That's why I'm rated 2143 on this site and you are only a measly 1950.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    01 Mar '09 21:42
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was a minute quicker than you. That's why I'm rated 2143 on this site and you are only a measly 1950.
    It took me a minute to explain why (something you failed to do).
  6. 01 Mar '09 21:51
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was a minute quicker than you. That's why I'm rated 2143 on this site and you are only a measly 1950.
    Who says the man always comes first

    Why not have a wee game and see who is better?
  7. 01 Mar '09 23:42 / 1 edit
    Yes The King and Queen will easily beat the King and Knight.
    The committed move of the Knight makes it easy for the Queen to pick off.

    With White King on e1 and Queen on d1 and Black King on e8 and the Knight on g8
    You will either win the Knight or checkmate the king in 16-17 moves.

    King and Queen v King & 2 Knights is also a win in the majority of the cases.
    Exceptions are positions akin to this one.




    The White King cannot get out to help the Queen.

    The Queen needs her King to give mate.

    (try mating a lone King with a lone Queen on an empty board if you don't believe me).

    there is more.....
  8. 01 Mar '09 23:42 / 3 edits
    ....more.

    The fun really starts when you have King, Queen & Knight v King and Queen.
    (usually a draw but don't relax if defending this situation).

    There have been many beautiful studies involving this theme.

    Here is a good one. It was composed by Joseph in 1978




    1. Qg2+ Qb7 2. Qg8+ Ka7 3. Qg1+ Ka8 4. Qa1+ Qa7 5. Qh1+ Qb7
    6. Qh8+ Ka7 7.Qa1+ Qa6 8. Qg1+ Ka8 9. Qg8+ wins.

    (either mate or Black walks into a Knight Fork)
  9. 02 Mar '09 00:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

    The White King cannot get out to help the Queen.

    The Queen needs her King to give mate.

    (try mating a lone King with a lone Queen on an empty board if you don't believe me)
    But your last statement isn't convincing since the lone queen can force the lone king into a corner, which in this hypothetical situation would be analogous to stalemate. But in the real specific position with the two knights, this may mean one of the knights has to move, therefore breaking their mutual defending of each other, plus letting the White king out.
  10. 02 Mar '09 00:27 / 1 edit
    I thought of that as well but with the King that close to the Knights
    apparently the King cannot be chased into a corner.

    It's one of those computer tested fortress positons.
    Remember it is an exception.