Is master level achievable without a coach?

Is master level achievable without a coach?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I

Moves
27 Nov 06

Like many here, I'm obsessed with the game. I fill every idle minute of my day with studying tactics, reading strategy books, or playing. My hunger for improving my play will probably never stop. I'm not a competative player, but play more for self improvement.

I haven't, however, had any coaching, professional or otherwise. Everything I have learned is self taught (books/software). I do feel like I have a good grasp on my weeknesses and have laid out a long term plan for improving those points.

My life goal is to achieve master level. Although things may change in the future, I don't see myself being in the position to aquire a chess coach for both financial and personal reasons.

I would like to hear from any "self-made masters" out there. Do you exist? Is it possible?

KIF

Moves
27 Nov 06

It is possible (2000 isnt that hard IMHO). I dont see how people on RHP can have ratings like 900... its just stupid.

OTB I hope to be atleast 2200 before I quit.

I

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by Kings Indian FTW
It is possible (2000 isnt that hard IMHO). I dont see how people on RHP can have ratings like 900... its just stupid.

To clarify my post, I am talking about OTB and considering "master" as USCF 2200 or FIDE 2200. RHP ratings are often inaccurrate/inconsistant with OTB ratings.

y

Moves
27 Nov 06

This raises a good question,how many IM's and GM's got there without a coach,I think you can take it most of the Russians did/do-chess coaching is a state institution but what about non Soviet players,I mean did Fischer ever have a coach in his learning days.

FL

over there

Moves
27 Nov 06

I believe it is possible. Just keep studying.

V

Moves
27 Nov 06

I'm not a titled player. I have used some coaching online and offline, by titled players. They have taught me things that I couldn't gain from books. One main reason is that most players develop misunderstandings regarding chess and reading can't easily eradicate these. However, having a stronger player listen to you talk about chess and tell you "that's just crazy" helps a lot to shatter the erroneous illusions.

In short, a good coach will often point you in the right direction more quickly/easily than you may discover for yourself.

c

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by Varenka
I'm not a titled player. I have used some coaching online and offline, by titled players. They have taught me things that I couldn't gain from books. One main reason is that most players develop misunderstandings regarding chess and reading can't easily eradicate these. However, having a stronger player listen to you talk about chess and tell you "that's ...[text shortened]... n point you in the right direction more quickly/easily than you may discover for yourself.
You can get coaches quite cheap and over the internet too. If you're really interested in a coach they're pretty easy to find over Playchess.

w

Moves
27 Nov 06

NM CHARLES RIORDAN is a chess coach for 20 dolllars for 2 hours.

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
27 Nov 06

I dont see how people on RHP can have ratings like 900... its just stupid.
They probably wouldn't be able to understand why you're so stupid that you can't do things they find easy. I think you should lay off people who are presumably only using this site for fun

c

USA

Moves
27 Nov 06

There are all these people around me who are my age, and they all have one coach who has made their ratings skyrocket.

Some examples

In 1 year....
1400 to 1950
900 to 1530
1100 to 1440
1590 to 1900

and similar. And get this.... do you know what the coaches rating is? It's 1400! How does a 1400 train someone to get to 1900? I don't know, but his system works!

In short, no, i don't think its possible, unless you have at least some natural talent and are willing to put in a ton of hard work as in every moment of free time you have.

FL

Moves
27 Nov 06

I've known loads of very talented players in my time, and in my opinion it is very difficult to become an International Master without coaching of some sort. Expert level, which is what I am, is relatively easy to achieve.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I've known loads of very talented players in my time, and in my opinion it is very difficult to become an International Master without coaching of some sort. Expert level, which is what I am, is relatively easy to achieve.
How long did it take you to achieve it?

FL

Moves
28 Nov 06

It took me ten years from when I learnt the moves (at age 12) to becoming an "Expert" (> 2000 rating). Obviously I did a few other things, like O levels, A levels and a degree inbetween the chess!

I have personally known two people who went from beginner to expert standard in less than two years. But your average International Master is a couple of levels above master in my opinion. I don't know anyone who has become an IM without at least a little bit of coaching. Neither of the two players I mentioned ever became any better, even thought they both still play regularly and it is now fifteen years later.

T
Blunder Grandmaster

Forked by a Knight

Moves
28 Nov 06

I know in many ways you are just trying to be funny, but I know a couple of the sub 1000 players here because they are students of mine. The youngest one is five years old.

R

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by chesskid001
How does a 1400 train someone to get to 1900?
Fritz and an earpiece.