1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:38
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Black can't have a forced win because however that win started, white can always start with a move that prevents it because white goes first.
    Missed this before.

Logically, this is not true. White may be in zugzwang at the start of the game.
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 20:392 edits
    Nim (with six stacks) is an example of a game where the first player loses with best play. Chess is too complicated to analyse completely in the way that nim has been, but there's no reason to suppose it might be any different.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 11:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]Hi Paul,

Basically what you are saying is the better chess player will win
    no matter what sound opening is played and that is correct.
    I have always wondered about the "chicken and egg" idea: Did the players I know become good, and then took up the Caro Kann, or did they take up the Caro Kann and then become good?
  4. e4
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 14:45
    Hi Paul,

Like all good players they probably started off with gambit play and Morphy type games.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 15:04
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have always wondered about the "chicken and egg" idea: Did the players I know become good, and then took up the Caro Kann, or did they take up the Caro Kann and then become good?
    For awhile, they took up the Caro because Bobby Fischer had trouble against it. 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 00:451 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    For awhile, they took up the Caro because Bobby Fischer had trouble against it. 🙂
    I read an account where Tal picked up the C pawn and playfully taunted Bobby with it by placing it on temporarily on c6 without taking his hand from it and after observing Bobbys reaction pushed it forward to c5. 😀
  7. Joined
    12 Aug '09
    Moves
    23 Mar '14 13:081 edit
    ... we could also argue the the starting position is a "strategic zugzwang" where white's first move, no matter what it is, involves a concession of some kin[d] that black can exploit .... I highly doubt that to be the case, but I can't disprove it at this point.
    Is there any literature which considers this intriguing possibility of the starting position as a 'strategic zugzwang'?
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Mar '14 14:23
    Originally posted by Linden Lyons
    Is there any literature which considers this intriguing possibility of the starting position as a 'strategic zugzwang'?
    John Nunn wrote in the introduction to one of his books that he thinks the game is a draw with best play, stating that he couldn't prove it but he believed it to be true. It's what prompted me to think about it.

We're just not yet at the point where we can tell.
  9. Joined
    12 Aug '09
    Moves
    24 Mar '14 23:34
    John Nunn wrote in the introduction to one of his books that he thinks the game is a draw with best play, stating that he couldn't prove it but he believed it to be true. It's what prompted me to think about it.

We're just not yet at the point where we can tell.
    Whether or not Black has a theoretical draw in the initial position, it is probably worth believing. Otherwise Black might approach the game with a psychological disadvantage.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 18:27
    after 1.e4 c6 whites initiative is gone.
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 01:00
    Here is an OTB game I played tonight against a pretty decent opponent (ECF grade of 177). I was Black; played in the style of Keith Arkell!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree