1. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 22:42
    I don't think it's unsound at all. The authors use the Hyper Accelerated Move order to avoid the Rossolimo.(1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5!?) Other than that, they always transpose it back to normal accelerated Dragon lines. I don't think the line is unsound at all, it just offers black slightly less winning chances than other Sicilians. It's a solid, tricky system that tries to take advantage of the fact that Black hasn't moved the d-pawn yet, hoping to play the shot ..d5! in one move instead of d7-d6-d5. The statistics probably reflect the fact that the most popular response is the Maroczy Bind, a line that has put the Accelerated Dragon on the sidelines. Black is probably ok in the endings, but can you win one of those? I mean, the pressure is on black to draw in those lines, so it's quite hard to milk a win out of a position where you are struggling to draw. This probably results in the win % disparity. But don't give up just yet. I have the book and have had good results with the Accelerated Dragon. If you look around in the book, some top players have played the system with good success. I do believe there was a Svidler - Topalov duel in there (Two of the top 10 in the world!) and I know for a fact that back in his day Bent Larsen played the system with great success (although they were still playing 7..Ng4 in the Maroczy, which is actually considered bad these days!). So go out and crack some skulls. Now if you are having bad results with it, that's a different story altogether, but if you are playing ok and having good results, who gives a flyer what the statistics say no?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:181 edit
    I've had good results with it and I like the opening, but then again, no one has used the Maroczy against me.

Also, I know they use the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon to avoid the Rosolimo, but I've still run into the Rosolimo anyway.

Here's the line:
    1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 g6 3 Bb5 Bg7 4 0-0 Nc6

Unless you have some suggestions for improvements, I don't know how to avoid the Rosolimo.

Anyway, the scary part about this opening is the Maroczy winning percentage the Rosolimo is a concern, but I think I can deal with it alright.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:281 edit
    I tried to find the above line in 3 databases and there are no games with that move order. There must be a reason that the masters don't play 3 Bb5 to force the Rosolimo even against the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon. Amateurs don't seem to mind though and I can't understand why masters don't play it. Any suggestions or opinions?
  4. Belfast
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:37
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I tried to find the above line in 3 databases and there are no games with that move order. There must be a reason that the masters don't play 3 Bb5 to force the Rosolimo even against the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon. Amateurs don't seem to mind though and I can't understand why masters don't play it. Any suggestions or opinions?
    Maybe its because 3...c6 drives back the Bishop and also prepares ...d5
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:572 edits
    Originally posted by lukemcmullan
    Maybe its because 3...c6 drives back the Bishop and also prepares ...d5
    Better re-read his post; the c-pawn is already at c5. But Black can simply kick the Bishop with a6 and b5 if necessary, so he can easily avoid the Rossolimo.

EDIT: Actually, White can't retreat to a4 because he loses the Bishop to b5 and c4, so he's simply wasted a move.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:57
    No, that can't be it because pawns cannot move backwards.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 00:25
    Yeah, a6 is probably best and it is the most natural to me also. I played Bg7 because Fritz gave it a more favorable evaluation (I trust Fritz more than I trust myself) when I left it to calculate for about 5 min.

a6 was 0.55
    Bg7was 0.38

On the other hand, chess engines suck when it comes to planning and strategy, so this may not mean much. After all, even playing 1 ...c5 immediately gives White a 0.81 advantage. (Fritz thinks e5 is best against e4.)

Since I am a human after all, I willl play a6 from now on. That takes care of the Rosolimo.

But the Maroczy is still a sore point. 🙁
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 00:31
    Yeah, a6 is probably best and it is the most natural to me also. I played Bg7 because Fritz gave it a more favorable evaluation (I trust Fritz more than I trust myself) when I left it to calculate for about 5 min.

a6 was 0.55
    Bg7was 0.38

On the other hand, chess engines suck when it comes to planning and strategy, so this may not mean much. After ...[text shortened]... ay a6 from now on. That takes care of the Rosolimo.

But the Maroczy is still a sore point. 🙁
    I hope you aren't running Fritz WHILE a game is being played; that is strictly forbidden by the rules of the site.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 00:422 edits
    LOL, no, I don't use Fritz while playing, I use Fritz to analyze my game after it is done. Usually I don't even do a full analysis, but I set Fritz to analyze positions that I was unsure about. The first time I encountered Bb5 on ICC I played a6 and then looked at Fritz analysis. After that I played Bg7 followed by Nc6 as Fritz recommended.

Now, as I have said, I will play a6, either before Bg7 or right after.

EDIT:

BTW: If I used Fritz while playing, do you think I would be worried about ANY lines? Fritz would beat everyone here, even with the Maroczy. Even Kasparov would have a hard time with Fritz.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 00:42
    Sound or not, it has a staggeringly brilliant name.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 00:47
    LOL, no, I don't use Fritz while playing, I use Fritz to analyze my game after it is done. Usually I don't even do a full analysis, but I set Fritz to analyze positions that I was unsure about. The first time I encountered Bb5 on ICC I played a6 and then looked at Fritz analysis. After that I played Bg7 followed by Nc6 as Fritz recommended.

Now, as I h ...[text shortened]... d beat everyone here, even with the Maroczy. Even Kasparov would have a hard time with Fritz.
    I guarantee you that Fritz wouldn't beat every username here.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 01:11
    Oh come on, Fritz is estimated to be over 2800, is anyone that good here?
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 01:18
    Oh come on, Fritz is estimated to be over 2800, is anyone that good here?
    I think he was saying some people might get a draw, as it were.
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 01:221 edit
    Try ChessBase's database. Key word search "chess database", or www.chesslive.de. I do not like Bb5 vs 1. .... c5. You might try a6 or you will have too play vs. Bb5.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 02:031 edit
    I found an interesting article about an IM trying the Accelerated Dragon against GMs. http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_true_combat/040528_hw_bt_gm_04.html Unfortunately, he often faced the Maroczy bind and lost. 🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree