1. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:14
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It is the Hungarian Variation to the Sicillian not the actual Hungarian Defense which is the moves that you posted.
    You can call it the tomtom232 variation if it so pleases you, but until you provide evidence that somebody else in the chess world calls it that, your pronouncement does not make it fact. So, I repeat the question: What is your source?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:17
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    You can call it the tomtom232 variation if it so pleases you, but until you provide evidence that somebody else in the chess world calls it that, your pronouncement does not make it fact. So, I repeat the question: What is your source?
    Here is a link.

http://ficgs.com/index.php?page=search&keyword=1.%20e4%20c5%202.%20Nf3%20g6&about=Sicilian%20%20%20Hungarian%20variation
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:36
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Here is a link.

http://ficgs.com/index.php?page=search&keyword=1.%20e4%20c5%202.%20Nf3%20g6&about=Sicilian%20%20%20Hungarian%20variation
    Interestingly enough, the following link goes to the exact same page:

http://ficgs.com/index.php?page=search&keyword=1.%20e4%20c5%202.%20Nf3%20g6&about=Sicilian%20%20%20tomtom232%20variation
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 00:071 edit
    Lately, there has been more interest in the Maroczy bind and Sergei Tiviakov, the premier expert on the system has a new ChessBase DVD on it. See it here: http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=333 and read a review here http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4258 (originally published in Chess Today).

It's really well-done and it's clear that Tiviakov has worked relentlessly and came to similar conclusions as me. The pure Gurgenidze system simplifies quickly while giving White a clear edge and forcing Black to fight for the draw. Fortunately, unlike me, he didn't abandon it there. He came up with some interesting ideas in a combination of the Gurgenidze and the anti-Maroczy system (preventing Nc2) and I think this is Black's best chance for equality and a win. Black often puts the bishop on c6, a knight on c5, supported by a5 (sometimes starting counterplay with a4). It starts like this:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nc6 5. c4 Nf6 6. Nc3 d6 7. Be2 Bg7 8. Be3
    O-O 9. O-O Nxd4 10. Bxd4 Bd7

I'd say that White still retains the better chances and a steady nagging edge, but this is probably Black's best system and is fully playable. Obviously, that goes without saying if a 2650+ player like Tiviakov plays it on a consistent basis.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 00:18
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Lately, there has been more interest in the Maroczy bind and Sergei Tiviakov, the premier expert on the system has a new ChessBase DVD on it. See it here: http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=333 and read a review here http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4258 (originally published in Chess Today).

It's really well-done and it's clear th ...[text shortened]... , that goes without saying if a 2650+ player like Tiviakov plays it on a consistent basis.
    I like the Najdorf and the O'Kelly sicilian best.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 00:28
    Originally posted by exigentsky

It's really well-done and it's clear th ...[text shortened]... , that goes without saying if a 2650+ player like Tiviakov plays it on a consistent basis.
    I love the Maroczy Bind! If I could learn it as white, and the King's Gambit after 1. ...e5, and all the French Defence openings, and the Pirc, and Petroff's, then I might start playing 1. e4 again.
    until then... I'll stick with the slower-paced games 😉
  7. Joined
    30 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 21:06
    extisky i will show you the true power of the macrocy bind.!! lets play chess you black i am white we play your hyper acc dragon out.
  8. Joined
    30 Jul '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 00:06
    i soley play acc. dragon its works!!!!!!!!!hyper acc. cheers
  9. Joined
    04 Aug '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 19:57
    There is an easy answer to this post. Dzindzi and Alburt were not aiming to give you the opening that made White's job the most pain. They wanted to cater to an opening that was easy and reliable for a player who is just beginning to learn opening theory.

The reason Alburt and Dzindzi are good is that they teach things at lower levels. They did not choose something very complex, such as the Alekhine (which Alburt is very knowledgeable of). If you recall the early part of the book, it is mentioned that to play the Ruy, you must learn a terabyte of theory. There is some truth to that...to play the most fashionable lines.

What these two have aimed to do is to steer the game into a direction that is easy for a learning player to be familiar with.

Here's the point - quit looking at stats. If you look at stats, you will never be creative in your choices, and you will be doing the same thing that so many others do. Take what is taught in the book, and look at it for yourself. Understand the ideas. Try them out. See what works... See if this makes any sense. He gives maybe two pages to 1. f4 defense. Believe me, it takes more than two pages to learn about 1. f4...Bring on two pages of theory and no intimate knowledge, and my kingside pawns will be kissing your king!

So let's look at the moves from the beginning...

1. e4 c5 - the game has a definite imbalance. But why are you playing 1...c5? You really ought to try to understand that, if you are going to have a grasp of even why to play the Sicilian. Black clamps down on d4 and b4, gaining queenside space, and has given the queen leeway to run towards the queenside.

2. Nf3 (assuming White plays the mainline) g6 - Black is fighting along the a1-h8 diagonal. He plans to bring his bishop to g7, and his claim for quickly getting out the bishop is that he believes that by avoiding ...d7-d6, he can sidestep some dangerous attacks that White has at his disposal. Of course, he doesn't have the added control of e5 that he would in a standard Dragon.

What do I read in this? A greater chance of equalizing. If you read about any of Dzindzi's work, he often steers things into endgames - or at least what I have seen. Not that he cannot play a blistering attack, but he tries to run down the aggressive potential of White in this opening.

If you are looking for a more double-edged opening, play the 2...d6 systems... try the Najdorf e5 variation. Or the Sveshnikov. But even there, you have a lot of theory to learn.

If you are beginning to study chess, stick with 2...g6 in the Sicilian until you find that you are unhappy with it and want to try something else, or that you find you do well with it and are happy with it. I personally try a few different ideas, but you will find what works for you, in time. Forget the stats - they sometimes can be misleading, because you may not even truly understand why one side is better in a position, without intimate knowledge of it.
  10. e4
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 20:47
    Hi and welcome to RHP.

You joined today and are replying to a post two years old.

Good.

Are you going to go through all the old posts. There are some really
    good posts that need answering from 5 years ago.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 21:36
    no way, hyper accelerated dragon lives! it is the only dragon to be played in memory of the last living dragon the Loch Ness monster, whom green pawn has seen with his own eyes!

all the theory you will ever need to learn is as follows

pick up the g pawn, place it on g6, wait for whites response, pick up the dragon bishop and place it on g7 and be mesmerised as it casts its glance along the long diagonal, and then pick up the c pawn and place it on c5. it can played against any white defence, with the exception of 1.b3 or 1.b4 and if one is not feeling aggressive instead of 3...c5 one can transpose into a number of other systems, modern etc etc etc.
  12. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 22:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no way, hyper accelerated dragon lives! it is the only dragon to be played in memory of the last living dragon the Loch Ness monster, whom green pawn has seen with his own eyes!

all the theory you will ever need to learn is as follows

pick up the g pawn, place it on g6, wait for whites response, pick up the dragon bishop and place it on g7 and ...[text shortened]... gressive instead of 3...c5 one can transpose into a number of other systems, modern etc etc etc.
    g6, first?😲

HFS!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 22:53
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    g6, first?😲

HFS!
    yes my friend, doesnt matter what white plays, 1.e4 1.d4, 1.c4 1.f4 1.Nf3 1...g6 is the move!
  14. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 23:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes my friend, doesnt matter what white plays, 1.e4 1.d4, 1.c4 1.f4 1.Nf3 1...g6 is the move!
    I've found my plan for the new season.😀

In fact, I'm going to play 1. g3 as well.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 23:462 edits
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    I've found my plan for the new season.😀

In fact, I'm going to play 1. g3 as well.
    yes, this is also amazing 1.g3 2.Bg2 and 3.c4! good luck your opponents are going to need it! the best part is when they take the centre and suddenly realise that its not so strong as they once imagined!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree