1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 16:451 edit
    Or was it on the spot creativity? I try but can't find any tricks, traps or equality for black.

3...Nb4

2. bedlam
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 16:551 edit
    It's a trap known as Blackburne's shilling gambit (I think?).It gambles on white being greedy and snatching the e-pawn.

3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 17:01
    That's an awful lot of hopes for specific moves. Am I correct that it's an unsound move? Did I reply with the best response?
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 17:031 edit
    Here is the earliest game I could find, with Chessbase classifying it under "The Hungarian Defense and Guicco Pianissimo".

Since the original game seems to be from New Zealand, perhaps we should dub it the "New Zealand Defense" or the "Kiwi Variation" or something else to pay tribute to its origin.

EDIT: Whoops, it may already have a name...

And here is a more recent game (I looked for the most recent with one player rated over 2000) where white wins:

5. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    That's an awful lot of hopes for specific moves.
    Not really, just one. 4. Nxe5 gives black an advantage according to Stockfish. Nxf7 loses the game.
  6. bedlam
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 18:44
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    That's an awful lot of hopes for specific moves. Am I correct that it's an unsound move? Did I reply with the best response?
    I think you're supposed to just capture the knight,but to be sure I'd have to look it up and don't exactly know where.
    Embarassing lack of knowledge of the classics here 😳

Though your 4.c3 seems good to me.Can't see anything wrong with that.

@legett
    At least "New Zealand attack" 🙂
  7. e4
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 22:042 edits
    Thread 125321 has some history on this trap.

On here it should be called the Marko Krale Trap User 115856
    He has mated 12 (Twleve!!) people with it as Black.

(Marko has also been involved in 27 stalemates on this site...quite a guy.)

Here are his (to date) his 12 victims.

danicurri - Marko Krale
    bdh191 - Marko Krale
    ronmeister1966 - Marko Krale
    IceKnight - Marko Krale
    sugiezd - Marko Krale
    Sake - Marko Krale
    MrAvgGuy - Marko Krale
    apaez - Marko Krale
    Inspector5251 - Marko Krale
    Ekfugo - Marko Krale
    cpenelea - Marko Krale
    nastybug - Marko Krale

"4. Nxe5 gives black an advantage according to Stockfish."

Never give any creedence to what a toy box says till you have looked at it for yourself.

8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 03:50
    Now I KNOW Deep Blue isn't really a chess player... it has a job.
  9. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 12:07
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    And I'd take that position Over the Board against anyone. Sickfish should stick to what it is was designed for, processing bookings for an airline company (that is what Deep Blue is doing these days.)[/b]
    I don't know about that... Why is this position so good for white? Sickfish gives black +0.76 after 13 minutes of thinking. I've played through its mainline and it looks pretty sensible (at least the first part of it -- I get lost later). Here it is:

I don't see why black should be worse here. He's a pawn ahead, can castle easily and white has to maneuver his knight via d2, giving black time for development. Also, white's bishop is unprotected and will have to move.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 01:01
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Here is the earliest game I could find, with Chessbase classifying it under "The Hungarian Defense and Guicco Pianissimo".

Since the original game seems to be from New Zealand, perhaps we should dub it the "New Zealand Defense" or the "Kiwi Variation" or something else to pay tribute to its origin.

EDIT: Whoops, it may already have a name...

[ ...[text shortened]... Bxe4
    26. Rxd6+ 1-0[/pgn]
    So yeah, following the example of the second game in that worked out for me. Ironically since I've made this thread two more people used it against me, and I used to never see that opening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree