1. Joined
    06 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 17:48
    I'm thinking about only playing games in the French with the black pieces. If I make this clear in my invites, is it wrong to delete all other games that don't begin this way?
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 17:51
    Originally posted by Reverb
    I'm thinking about only playing games in the French with the black pieces. If I make this clear in my invites, is it wrong to delete all other games that don't begin this way?
    You can kindly explain in game name that you want french player. Other option would be to ask for games in forum and challenge someone when you agree to french game.

That should do the trick. You are allowed to delete your games within 2 moves. So if someone want to make to fool of you and plays d4 just to piss you off delete the game 😉
  3. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 17:57
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    You can kindly explain in game name that you want french player. Other option would be to ask for games in forum and challenge someone when you agree to french game.

That should do the trick. You are allowed to delete your games within 2 moves. So if someone want to make to fool of you and plays d4 just to piss you off delete the game 😉
    or you just play 1. ..e6 and only delete if they dont reply 2. e4 :-)
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 18:00
    Originally posted by sannevssr
    or you just play 1. ..e6 and only delete if they dont reply 2. e4 :-)
    Ha ! True I did not think about transpositions.
  5. Earth
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:09
    This is fine by me. As it is within the rules to delete a game within 2 moves, ones motivation is irrelvent 🙂
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:11
    if you dont care about rating, just send out set piece games...
    also you can request tournaments with the "send feedback" link, and you could have a french themed tourney 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 20:42
    You don't have to say anything at all, you don't owe anyone an explanation for anything, it's perfectly fine.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 21:231 edit
    If you plan to do this often, I don't think it is ethical for rated games. What would you think if all your opponents did this to you? Unless you make a specific first move and continue how their pet lines goes, they just abandon the game. This is chess and you're not allowed to choose your opponent's moves- which is exactly what you would be doing. What if this happened OTB? Suddenly, 90% of tournament games would be abandoned. If chess is an analogy for war, this is also pretty silly. Can a general simply restart a war because he would rather face a different strategy than his enemy is employing?
  9. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:10
    It's legal... But, if you want to just play a openning, consider using a set piece game.. You only DO openings to learn how to play against them.. Not for the rating points.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 23:17
    Larry Evans once wrote that, when it comes to chess, "if it's legal, it's ethical." I'm not sure that's always true, but it's probably true about 99% of the time.
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 12:26
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    What if this happened OTB?
    It may not be the best training for OTB, in the sense that he will not be able to play the French every single time OTB, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to practice one particular opening. That's one of the main advantages to correspondence chess.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 14:441 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    It may not be the best training for OTB, in the sense that he will not be able to play the French every single time OTB, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to practice one particular opening. That's one of the main advantages to correspondence chess.
    Perhaps you should have referred to the rest of the comment. I already stated that there is nothing wrong with this as long as it isn't done for long periods of time in many rated games. Otherwise, it would clearly be unfair and lead to rating inflation. It doesn't matter if it's CC or OTB. There are countless reasons for this and I think I've given enough.
  13. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 18:22
    I think that playing the French is technically classed as "torture" and is therefore unethical.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree