Is this sound... ish?

Is this sound... ish?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
01 Oct 07
1 edit

Against 1.d4.

What I'm looking for is something that can lead to a tactical game OTB, takes your opponent out of book early & which is based around a very likely response.

1.d4...e5
2.dxe5...Nc6
3.Nf3...d6
4.exd6...Bxd6
5.e4...Nf6

I know it's the Englund gambit, but this line leads to a huge total of 3 wins for white & 3 for black on chesslive.de

A couple of questions:

This is ok for black isn't it?
&
Are there any other highly likely responses for white here at any stage?

A

Moves
01 Oct 07

It looks fine, I certainly wouldn't mind playing the Black side.

h
Endgamer

Wisconsin

Moves
01 Oct 07
3 edits

Originally posted by Squelchbelch

[fen]r1bqk2r/ppp2ppp/2nb1n2/8/4P3/5N2/PPP2PPP/RNBQKB1R w KQkq - 0 6[/fen]
1. Bb5 (threating to take the knight and then push the pawn to e5 where it will fork blacks pieces.)
1. ... Nxe4 (its a free pawn. Or else black can move one of his two minor pieces and accept doubled pawns if white chooses to.)

2. Qd5! (threating both of blacks knights. After this white will win that pawn back with a better pawn structure.)

Sample line (2....Nf6 3. BxNc6+ bxc6 4. Qxc6+)
or
( 2...Qe7 3. BxNc6+ bxc6 4. Qxc6+) Then from there i think its easy to see white has an advantage. It's an interesting position so if you want, send a set piece over and i'd be happy to back it up with some play.

w
Steve B.

Salt Lake City

Moves
01 Oct 07

Good blitz opening, but I wouldn't love it much in OTB, especially against stronger players. Looks like white can play pretty reasonably and get a good, pawn up game out of this. After years of trying to find systems to take people out of book, etc, ive realized that my best chances are in sharp, main lines. It's more work, but I think you will do better that way than trying to cobble together a dubious, "tricky" set of openings.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by hammster21
1. Bb5 (threating to take the knight and then push the pawn to e5 where it will fork blacks pieces.)
1. ... Nxe4 (its a free pawn. Or else black can move one of his two minor pieces and accept doubled pawns if white chooses to.)

2. Qd5! (threating both of blacks knights. After this white will win that pawn back with a better pawn structure.)

Sample ...[text shortened]... position so if you want, send a set piece over and i'd be happy to back it up with some play.
After 2.Qd5?? Bb4+ black wins

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by wargamer66
Good blitz opening, but I wouldn't love it much in OTB, especially against stronger players. Looks like white can play pretty reasonably and get a good, pawn up game out of this. After years of trying to find systems to take people out of book, etc, ive realized that my best chances are in sharp, main lines. It's more work, but I think you will do better that way than trying to cobble together a dubious, "tricky" set of openings.
I agree with wargamer66. Lets look at this position:

After 6.Bd3! 0-0 7.0-0 black have no enough compensation for pawn.

h
Endgamer

Wisconsin

Moves
02 Oct 07

Originally posted by Korch
After 2.Qd5?? Bb4+ black wins
ahhh crap. It was late and i should have looked at it more in depth.