Is whites advantage real?

Is whites advantage real?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Game 1840336

I didn't get away with it against a decent opponent.

In the database of my online games, I won 52% as white with a performance of +2 (above my average rating). As black, I won 51% with a performance of -7. 24711 total games. I'd say that white has an advantage at my level, but that it is [b]very slight
. For players above 2200, th ...[text shortened]... equalizing.

I'm less serious here:
1.e4 c5 =
1.e4 e6 +/=
1.e4 e5 +/=
1.d4 +/=
1.c4 =[/b]
Alright I can agree with that.

Very slight for us, higher you go the more it matters.

I hope you learnt your lesson from that game. I think it's such a waste of moves. I can't understand how that master gets away with it even against 2000+ player sometimes. Incredible.

t

my island

Moves
26 Mar 06

Game 1840336
thats the funniest opening i've ever seen, can't believe anyone good has ever won playing that. even at my level i'd be pretty happy if someone moved their king second move, crazy.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by trevor33
thats the funniest opening i've ever seen, can't believe anyone good has ever won playing that. even at my level i'd be pretty happy if someone moved their king second move, crazy.
I've lost twice and won about a dozen, mostly blitz, using that opening. 1-1 in CC.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Mar 06

I've lost twice and won about a dozen, mostly blitz, using that opening. 1-1 in CC.
Someone played this different sicilian vs me, I had black in my OTB game. We both had 3/3 and I usually play 1.e4 e5 but I knew he plays this funny sicilian so I played the sicilian in that game after almost 2 years.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 Nc6 5.Bb5 etc....

Anyways I had a nice game, won it and after the comment given by our club player who's really into chess history, dbs, games, opening etc... you need something chess he's the man basically writes:

Rubish openings give you rubish results 🙂

Haha.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
27 Mar 06

Interesting. I'm playing someone right now that plays white and he/she has played the same opponent many times....and this opponent resigns after one move....over and over again.

e

Moves
27 Mar 06

White's advantage is only as real as your skill level. If you know how to use the first move to dictate the course of the game and gain a slight edge; white's advantage is as real as you and me. However, if you are clueless about opening strategy and start the game with H4, it will be inconsequential.

S

Dublin

Moves
27 Mar 06

At lower levels, diffences in results with white or black are more likely to be because of being more comfortable with your opening choices with one colour. For example I play the French as black against e4 and have a decent idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. With white I play e4 but i'm a bit at sea against stuff like the Caro Kann or Petroff and can end up in positions where I find it harder to find the right moves. As a result, my score with black is a bit highter than with white OTB. I'm sure the same is probably true online.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Schumi
At lower levels, diffences in results with white or black are more likely to be because of being more comfortable with your opening choices with one colour. For example I play the French as black against e4 and have a decent idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. With white I play e4 but i'm a bit at sea against stuff like the Caro Kann or Petroff and can end ...[text shortened]... e with black is a bit highter than with white OTB. I'm sure the same is probably true online.
It also helps that many players, perhaps most below the top levels, are utterly lost against the French. Even though white maintains the initiative longer against the French than against, say, the Sicilian, the French does very well because white often self-destructs.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by badmoon
Interesting. I'm playing someone right now that plays white and he/she has played the same opponent many times....and this opponent resigns after one move....over and over again.
Games on here don't get rated after 1 move, after 3 moves they do so you can resign if you want. Also on some online sites if you quit a game quick enough it won't count.

g

Moves
28 Mar 06

It also helps that many players, perhaps most below the top levels, are utterly lost against the French. Even though white maintains the initiative longer against the French than against, say, the Sicilian, the French does very well because white often self-destructs.
I fear the Sicilian a lot more then I do the French. Really playing good move is more important than is the opening that is played? It seems to me that few world champions played the French Defense. Botvinnik, Petrosian, and Tal are the only world champions that I know of that played the French Defense.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by gambit3
I fear the Sicilian a lot more then I do the French. Really playing good move is more important than is the opening that is played? It seems to me that few world champions played the French Defense. Botvinnik, Petrosian, and Tal are the only world champions that I know of that played the French Defense.
Emanuel Lasker played the French