Is your set really what you want?

Is your set really what you want?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 May 18
4 edits

This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present set works nicely. So, I'm wondering: Do you own the set you've always wanted, or did you settle for something less, then wonder if you made the right choice? 😕

&t=210s

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
04 May 18

Originally posted by @mchill
This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present se ...[text shortened]... onder if you made the right choice? 😕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjmha_XmoA&t=210s
I have a Rosewood/Boxwood set with a 4.5 inch king. It looks like a Jacques of London design, but it came from India. It came in a mahogany box. All for $100 (including shipping from Anritsar, India). I bought it in 2003. It is the set I always wanted and I am most pleased with it.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
04 May 18
1 edit

That does sound nice, Caissa.

I have 5 sets myself, one only a recent addition, a wooden magnetic set on a fold-up board,
bought for £37 in a shop on the famous 'Shambles' in York.

In fact, this is it:
http://www.davidwestnedge.com/autoframehdg.asp?id=pcg+007+052

As it says, it comes in a green carrying pouch and the magnets are very good...
can hold the thing upside down and the pieces stay put 🙂

EDIT: Just noticed the same link works for multiple pages for some reason,
strange site, my set is the 7" magnetic set, King 1.25"

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 May 18

Originally posted by @mchill
This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present se ...[text shortened]... onder if you made the right choice? 😕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjmha_XmoA&t=210s
I have two really nice sets and boards that I never take out of the house. I'm not going to let some intense player slam my nice pieces. I have a vinyl board and a plastic set for that.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
10 May 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
I have two really nice sets and boards that I never take out of the house. I'm not going to let some intense player slam my nice pieces. I have a vinyl board and a plastic set for that.
Interesting variety of responses. Thank You for the feedback everyone.