1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 15:42
    Originally posted by MrHand
    yeah, that has been my approach. But do you say j'adoube or adjust? Just curious as to what is more common out there in the universe.
    I've always said adjust. My friend from another state did the same.
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 15:50
    yeah, that has been my approach. But do you say j'adoube or adjust? Just curious as to what is more common out there in the universe.
    I've only ever heard (and said) "j'adoube" in my club games.
    Maybe things are different in the US.
  3. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:00
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I've only ever heard (and said) "j'adoube" in my club games.
    Maybe things are different in the US.
    We can't pronounce it! 😉 I've only recently gotten back into OTB, so I'm looking forward to going to a tournament where I can do some expanded research. 🙂
  4. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:01
    In club games you can usually just say something along the lines of "I adjust". In serious tournaments, to be sure, say j'adoube.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:13
    Here's a question for the OTB'ers. How many of you say j'adoube? How many say "adjust" instead?

At the club I go, I have only heard "adjust." But I've also only heard about 3 or 4 people say it.
    At least in the U.S., either expression is okay. In my local tournaments, I almost always hear people say "I adjust". I should note that the USCF rule book actually states that either expression is acceptable.
  6. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 17:35
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    [b]When it is your turn you announce j'adoube and move the piece. Not just centeralize it but move it to a new location.
    What you are suggesting is illegal.
    See 'The Laws of Chess' Article 4: The act of moving the pieces
    " Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust"😉, the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares."
    You can only adjust the man on the square where it is already.
  7. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 18:23
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    At least in the U.S., either expression is okay. In my local tournaments, I almost always hear people say "I adjust". I should note that the USCF rule book actually states that either expression is acceptable.
    you're not going to post the text for more of my collection? 😉
  8. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 14:56
    In our chess club in Belfast I've ony heard adjust. And I only heard it 2-3 times (I've been playing there for about 1 year).
  9. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 17:35
    What is the proper term to state your intention to sweep all the pieces off the board with one hand and pop your opponent in the eye with the other? Please hurry, I have a OTB GIP that I'm going to need it in a move or two. 😠😳:'(
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 18:55
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    What is the proper term to state your intention to sweep all the pieces off the board with one hand and pop your opponent in the eye with the other? Please hurry, I have a OTB GIP that I'm going to need it in a move or two. 😠😳:'(
    Shame on you. No violence in chess should be done OVER the table. Feel free to kick and stomp under the table though. 🙂
    Another nice ploy, would be to step on someone's foot and hold it there. Then yell "Get your foot from under mine ! 🙁 )
    You may get banned or even worse, but at least you'll be the strongest player in the local jail they put you in. 🙂
  11. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 20:42
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Shame on you! No asking for help for games in progress! 😠
  12. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 20:49
    My opponent in a tournament recently stood up from the table to straighten his shorts which were aparently bunching up. In doing so, with a wry smile on his face, he said, "J'adoube."
  13. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 20:52
    haha. That is funny. Well, as long as it was done in a well, not gay way!
  14. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 21:03
    haha. That is funny. Well, as long as it was done in a well, not gay way!
    Oh yes, he was a friend of mine and I've known him for a couple of years. It was not disatracting in any way, but I had to take a few seconds to get my mind back on the game.
  15. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 21:23
    My son will grab the pieces and put them on a square then pull it back. Over and over. Every time I tell him to think in his head then move. I think the computer has something to do with it because when he's playing that way he can go back and forth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree