Jean Hebert is leaving...

Jean Hebert is leaving...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
08 Mar 06

I've been asked to edit my above post but I feel that I should leave it as is.

For the record the post preceeding that was MUCH longer and cause me to write what I did.

And once again: thank you to Jean and good luck

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
09 Mar 06
1 edit

I'm really a bit bemused by all this. I'm not really sure what Jean's concern was.

He now appears to be resigning all his games, which means our games are no longer in progress.

In Game 1851055, we played down the main line of the MacCutcheon, a variation I've played for years, and I'm quite familiar with these positions. I thought I was doing ok after 15...Qe7, but this has all been played before. I thought he lost the thread a bit and let me get the c-pawn, but I'm not that much better.

In Game 1850890, we played down a Nimzo line. This is a variation which I've just started to play, so I was following the book closely. When we got to Black's move 15, Jean commented that he wasn't going to play 15... Qd7, which Ivanovic played against Kasparov and got humped. Instead, he played Kasparov's recomendation 15...b5, but my book still dealt with that, so I was still following the same basic plan (though Jean's ....Re6 was new).

My point is that both games were just out of the opening. Sure, I thought I was a bit better in both (but nothing huge), but I've been in better positions against titled players and still screwed up.

Also, I appreciate it isn't much fun when an opponent '600 points your junior' catches you out in the opening, but that is one of the points of correspondence chess, and it wasn't that disastrous.

I certainly don't think these games justifies what appears to be a huge crisis in confidence.

I wish Jean well, he has always been a helpful opponent - we had a long conversation after a previous game which was particularly wild (the game, not the conversation), and he was very gracious and helpful.

But I still just don't get it.

M

Moves
09 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Redmike
I'm really a bit bemused by all this. I'm not really sure what Jean's concern was.

He now appears to be resigning all his games, which means our games are no longer in progress.

In Game 1851055, we played down the main line of the MacCutcheon, a variation I've played for years, and I'm quite familiar with these positions. I thought I was doing o tion), and he was very gracious and helpful.

But I still just don't get it.
I would guess, Redmike, that Jean decided to leave the site because it was becoming clear that playing here was not a particularly good way to maintain his skills. He had beaten most of the top players here already (with the exception of a few), and really had nothing to prove. We all know that when we play players who are below our own skill level (generally speaking), we don't improve, and run the risk of actually declining in skill. I believe Jean is in his late 40s and at this point in his career probably wishes to keep his skills honed by competing mostly against players of master strength. But as he is both humble and polite, it was probably a bit awkward for him to express this realization. Frankly, I'm surprised he was ever here to begin with. He is one of Canada's top players and has been for many years. In Quebec, his home province, he is something of a legend, and has been a dominant player since the 1970s.

L

The Untouchables;)

Moves
09 Mar 06
1 edit

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Mar 06

Take a look at the player tables - Jean Herbert is still in 4th place despite that fact that his rating's dropped to 1719 due to resigning all but a few games.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by DeepThought
Take a look at the player tables - Jean Herbert is still in 4th place despite that fact that his rating's dropped to 1719 due to resigning all but a few games.
Odd. 🙄

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by DeepThought
The ratings tables are updated every 24 hours.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

it is interesting ... this often happens ...

people come here and play just a few games ... then while they are waiting they start a few more ..

then more ... and more and more ...

suddenly they are playing 100 games and moving fast in all of them regardless how complex the position ... and things fall apart.

we have seen this over and over for many players ... now we see it happen to a famous well known experienced OTB player that we know ...

interesting!

p.s. i hope he comes back and restricts himself to 30 games.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
10 Mar 06

This explains a lot
I had a game on the go with Jean which was slightly in his favour and suddenly he resigned
I could not work out why and have rechecked the game several times 🙂

All the best to him and hope he regains his confidence

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
The ratings tables are updated every 24 hours.
Yes, it's sorted itself out now.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
10 Mar 06

JH still has 7 active games going and is moving in all of them. So. perhaps he is just cutting down his workload, rather than leaving.

TM

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
JH still has 7 active games going and is moving in all of them. So. perhaps he is just cutting down his workload, rather than leaving.
Maybe he is leaving the forums to free up more time.

k

Moves
10 Mar 06

Sorry to see you go Jean. Hope things work out well for you.

God bless.
km

s

Moves
10 Mar 06

I think I'll learn the lesson and cut back on my games asap. Quality over quantity, any day.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
12 Mar 06

I looked at the games Jean Hebert resigned. He was down in most of them.

I don't think you should take this personally, Red Mike. He was having trouble in a lot of his games.

Maybe he was playing too many games. Maybe he was burned out.

I do want to say that I don't see anything heroic or laudatory in resigning 17 games all at once and saying "I quit."

Looking at the games, it appears to me that he would have lost most of them any. So instead he resigns en mass and deludes himself. It's very sad really.