1. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 01:57
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Someone (I think David Tebb) told me that this just checks whether you are flipping between difference programs whilst it's your move. I don't think it checks to see if you're running an engine and I'm almost certain it doesn't check for high engine match-up on the fly!
    I'm pretty sure thats not true. I play a good bit on ICC and Playchess, and if someone is taking a long time, I'll search the net and go do other stuff while they think. I just leave my volume on so I can tell when they have moved. I've been playing for over a year and have never gotten a ban/warning.
  2. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 02:05
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I'm pretty sure thats not true. I play a good bit on ICC and Playchess, and if someone is taking a long time, I'll search the net and go do other stuff while they think. I just leave my volume on so I can tell when they have moved. I've been playing for over a year and have never gotten a ban/warning.
    If you use ICC's software it is said they can check for 'task-switching' which is an indication something fishy might be going on.An indication,nothing more.You will not get banned for task-switching.

You will also not get banned for running fritz while playing on ICC because they cannot detect that.Or so they say

Try at own risk.
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 02:25
    I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure there is some sort of automated system. It only takes one game to. On playchess, a message comes up:

User xxx broke the rules by using a chess engine and had his rating deleted. Game userxxx vs. user yyy
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 04:52
    Someone (I think David Tebb) told me that this just checks whether you are flipping between difference programs whilst it's your move. I don't think it checks to see if you're running an engine and I'm almost certain it doesn't check for high engine match-up on the fly!
    Oh man, I go back and forth between chessbase and the site all the time, so I hope if they do this the technology will discriminate between types of programs!

On the funny side, I just subscribed, and I am playing in my first tournament, which is a King's Gambit themed tournament with 1. e4 e5 2. f4 as the starting position. I didn't realize that the pgn would start with "1. ... exf4" instead of "2. ...exf4" -in other words, numbering the first move after the starting position as "1" instead of the actual game move. I was moving back and forth between 3 books and chessbase, not realizing that I "wasn't on the same page" with the move numbers, and ended up at move 6 in two games, and very confused as to how I got there! Once I figured it out, it made me laugh out loud, but geez I thought I was hallucinating there for a bit!
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 06:36
    CHEATING WILL LEAD TO ACCOUNT TERMINATION
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 08:25
    OR NOT AS THE CASE MAY BE.

This capslock thing is catching.
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 08:30
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    CHEATING WILL LEAD TO ACCOUNT TERMINATION
    It's the message shown on Playchess when you've taskswitched over 480 times in one bullet game. It is a rather unsophisticated method, really. Most of those 1400s whose ratings are reset are just using chatting programs during games.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 08:34
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    It's a little more sophisticated than just assuming you're cheating if you swich tasks in the middle of a game. Perhaps if you do it when it's your move too often.
  9. The Smoke
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 15:21
    In the most important tournament of the year, I would have thought it would make sense to do a quick check on the winners of the penultimate round at least.
    agreed.. would think some of the 2100+ players that had a chance to be in the final round (especially current Nr 2) are now pretty p***ed off by the recent bannings...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree