1. Standard memberMonty348
    Always the Student
    Colorado
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 03:24
    I'm pretty new to online chess, only 80 games or so, and struggling to stay over 1400. As a recent subscriber, I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to joining a clan.

I don't play a lot of games at once, 4 to 6 tops, and I usually move a couple of times per day/per game.

I want to improve my game and wonder if clan membership will help with that. Are games assigned to you in a clan or do you still get to choose your opponents and the number of games you play?

Just curious to know what some of you think.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 05:15
    Originally posted by Monty348
    I'm pretty new to online chess, only 80 games or so, and struggling to stay over 1400. As a recent subscriber, I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to joining a clan.

I don't play a lot of games at once, 4 to 6 tops, and I usually move a couple of times per day/per game.

I want to improve my game and wonder if clan membership will help ...[text shortened]... r opponents and the number of games you play?

They are assigned. Clan games come in pairs.

Some clans load you up with a huge quantity of games, and others only a few. You control whether and when you are available for challenges.

In my experience, the best challenges are found in clan matches.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 05:40

I want to improve my game and wonder if clan membership will help ...[text shortened]... r opponents and the number of games you play?

Some of the clans are aimed at specific areas of chess (mainly openings) if you have an intrest in one of those openings then no doubt the private clan forums will contain some useful information.

Theres also things like the Analysis clan which is aimed at chess improvement.

Clan 24509
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 06:06

If you only want to play 6 games, maybe a clan isn't the way to go.
  5. London
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 08:071 edit
    I've learnt a lot from joining a clan as the higher rated players have shared their knowledge and given advice. You also have a sense of greater importance attached to the result of your game as it affects the whole clan. In addition I visit the smaller private forum of the clan regularly and only occasionally visit the public forums where I had been spending too much time. My only word of caution would be to agree how many games you are happy to take on before you join. If you take on too many (clan games come in pairs) you may get overwhelmed, but you will have to take a certain amount to be a useful clan member. So much depends on how much time you have give to chess. I found that when my game load was heading up towards 20 games and I was hanging out in the forums a lot that it was too much. Cutting back the number of games and allowing time for other methods of study has been a benefit. My clan leader was cool about this - so it's worked out well.

EDIT: Not at all wishishing to suggest the public forums "waste time" as I've learnt a lot from the posters who give advice and share opinions here!
  6. Standard memberMonty348
    Always the Student
    Colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 04:08
    I appreciate everyone's input and advice.

The idea of playing on a team, making new friends, and getting the advice and support of expert players is very appealing.

Honestly however, I really think that ten games would be all my poor old brain could handle at this point, even at one move a day. So, I guess I wouldn't be of much use to a clan on that account.

I just can't size up positions that quickly yet, and make too many dumb mistakes when I'm rushed. Actually, I manage to make plenty even when I'm not! So, I guess I'll keep plugging away and see if the future brings any improvement, or if this is as good as I'm going to get. Thanks again everyone for your time and help. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree