Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 30 Oct '06 21:07
    Hello all,

    I am trying to get a group of people together to study chess and play long rated games online. I am looking for intermediate level players (1500+) who can play at least 1 long game a week (preferably on FICS) and would like to spend some time after the game analyzing it, along with helping others in the group analyze their games. I have a blog at http://8gauge.blogspot.com and plan to post analysis of group games there, so if you are serious about studying an improving leave a comment on the blog or send me an email. My current rating is USCF 1812 and rising (I hope).

    Cheers
  2. 30 Oct '06 21:10
    Originally posted by scitcat
    Hello all,

    I am trying to get a group of people together to study chess and play long rated games online. I am looking for intermediate level players (1500+) who can play at least 1 long game a week (preferably on FICS) and would like to spend some time after the game analyzing it, along with helping others in the group analyze their games. I have a blog ...[text shortened]... t on the blog or send me an email. My current rating is USCF 1812 and rising (I hope).

    Cheers
    I do something simlar......well run a G/90 league online that has about 120 participants ranging from 1300 to IM level.
  3. 30 Oct '06 21:17
    Too many, its a study group to try and help each other improve by analyzing games etc., not just playing.
  4. 30 Oct '06 21:21
    Originally posted by scitcat
    Too many, its a study group to try and help each other improve by analyzing games etc., not just playing.
    The analysis clan on this site?
  5. 30 Oct '06 21:22
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    The analysis clan on this site?
    Do they play regular games on FICS once a week?
  6. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    30 Oct '06 23:42
    I would be interested in this.

    I have the same name on FICS as here. I normally go to a local chess club meeting on Tuesday nights and I'd sacrifice that for the study group.
  7. 31 Oct '06 01:16
    Originally posted by briancron
    I would be interested in this.

    I have the same name on FICS as here. I normally go to a local chess club meeting on Tuesday nights and I'd sacrifice that for the study group.
    Hey bc,

    Cool, I have a couple of e-mails from others also. I hope to get enough people over the next few days. Once I do I will list everyones FICS handle & contact info etc. on the blog and we can go from there...
  8. 31 Oct '06 04:48
    I'm interested, too. Only problem is: can't get onto FICS at present. Site is still down.
  9. 31 Oct '06 04:55
    Originally posted by basso
    I'm interested, too. Only problem is: can't get onto FICS at present. Site is still down.
    I was on FICS today, it was working fine. Is your interface up to date?

    PS. When are these online games looking to be scheduled?
  10. 31 Oct '06 07:26
    Originally posted by BLReid
    I was on FICS today, it was working fine. Is your interface up to date?

    PS. When are these online games looking to be scheduled?
    Is my interface up to date? All I know is whenever I go to FICS, I get the message, "The page cannot be displayed." I have jin. What to do?
  11. 31 Oct '06 07:36
    Originally posted by scitcat
    Hello all,

    I am trying to get a group of people together to study chess and play long rated games online. I am looking for intermediate level players (1500+) who can play at least 1 long game a week (preferably on FICS) and would like to spend some time after the game analyzing it, along with helping others in the group analyze their games. I have a blog ...[text shortened]... t on the blog or send me an email. My current rating is USCF 1812 and rising (I hope).

    Cheers
    You said: 1500+.
    What is this 1500+? National rating, ELO rating, RHP rating, FICS standard rating, FICS blitz rating ?
  12. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    31 Oct '06 13:31
    Originally posted by basso
    Is my interface up to date? All I know is whenever I go to FICS, I get the message, "The page cannot be displayed." I have jin. What to do?
    no problems with babaschess. try it, it's way better than jin.


    fics 1189 (Thu, Oct 19) IMPORTANT: FICS experiencing hardware problems!

    FICS is currently experiencing hardware problems, which have blocked our Web page, the registration system and our email system. This also means that we are unable to issue new passwords. However, if you have password problems connecting with Jin (the main Web interface), it is probably not due to a forgotten password, so please download, install and connect with another GUI (Graphical User Interface). Possible options are WinBoard, available as a self-installing .EXE from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/winboard/winboard-4_2_7a.exe, BabasChess, available from http://www.babaschess.net/ JIN available from http://www.jinchess.com and Thief, available from http://www.thief-interface.com/
  13. 31 Oct '06 13:31
    Basso-
    I will add you to the list. We have about six people now and ideally I think we need around 10-12.

    BLReid-
    Once we have the group members sorted out, I want to collect everyones availability as far as playing goes so you can select someone who can play when you are available, weekends and evenings late are best for me, but I know work and school make it tough for some people. after you play we can take a look at the game as a group etc.

    vipiu-
    I was shooting for intermediate level so whatever you feel that is, I don't want to prevent people from joining but I would like everyone in the group to be able to play each other and get a challenging game.
  14. 01 Nov '06 05:59
    OK, I downloaded babachess 3.9 and managed to play a game, but I am far from knowing my way around that interface with all the bells and whistles. And I still cannot access FICS website to register an account and get a password.
  15. 01 Nov '06 13:34 / 3 edits
    Hopefully they will have it sorted out soon, I use the Jin client and was able to log in, but maybe they are just having problems registering new users. Worst case scenario we can find another free chess server where everyone can play...

    I created a forum for anyone who is interested in joining our group, so go register and post if you want to join (read the welcome post for details...):

    http://chess.jconserv.net/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=15489b69ae57afd25e799a157502c056