1. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 01:45
    There is no one in my family other than myself who plays chess and I am getting tired of just playing online. For some reason my highschool doesn't even have a chess club even though it has 2000+ people, so I am interested in a joining a club. I have searched around and I see that there is, of course, one in my city (Edmonton). What I wonder is if I would be completely out of place if I arrive there for a game sometime and it turns out to be all older players there.

Do you have any advice on how to get involved in otb play for someone in my situation?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    There is no one in my family other than myself who plays chess and I am getting tired of just playing online. For some reason my highschool doesn't even have a chess club even though it has 2000+ people, so I am interested in a joining a club. I have searched around and I see that there is, of course, one in my city (Edmonton). What I wonder is if I would ...[text shortened]... ere.

Do you have any advice on how to get involved in otb play for someone in my situation?
    basically the same situation for me 😞
    to add, anyone have advise on how to become involved in a live otb chess tournament (in east, America)
  3. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 02:05
    There is no one in my family other than myself who plays chess and I am getting tired of just playing online. For some reason my highschool doesn't even have a chess club even though it has 2000+ people, so I am interested in a joining a club. I have searched around and I see that there is, of course, one in my city (Edmonton). What I wonder is if I would ...[text shortened]... ere.

I'm a member at the Edmonton Chess Club. 'Tis a lovely place and I would definitely recommend checking it out. As for worrying that there are only older people there, don't! I'm 18 and there are a lot of other young people there too.

How old are you, btw?
  4. Atlanta, GA, USA
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 02:32
    Why not spearhead the effort to start a chess club at your high school? With 2000 people, there should be decent interest and once you get interest, raise money to travel to otb tourneys. It would probably be a lot of fun.

BV
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 02:44
    Originally posted by Ramned
    basically the same situation for me 😞
    to add, anyone have advise on how to become involved in a live otb chess tournament (in east, America)
    Is there a chess club in your city?
  6. Seattle
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 03:441 edit
    check online for scholastic sites that cover your state. For me, the site is name the Washington High School Scholastic Chess Association (www.whsca.org)

EDIT: I'm assuming your still inside high school-middle school
  7. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 04:19
    I've gone to two chess clubs regularly. I just showed up. It was fine. Chess players aren't usually the most socially apt people, so if you are moderately comfortable in social situations you'll be fine. Most of the players are usually pretty decent but all skill levels are represented. There are usually a few old timers, a few 20 somethings and maybe a high school kid or two. Thats at least been my experience. As long as you want to play chess, just go and have fun and there will be no problem.
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 04:35
    Originally posted by Raven69
    I'm a member at the Edmonton Chess Club. 'Tis a lovely place and I would definitely recommend checking it out. As for worrying that there are only older people there, don't! I'm 18 and there are a lot of other young people there too.

How old are you, btw?
    I'm 15.
  9. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 04:36
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    I've gone to two chess clubs regularly. I just showed up. It was fine. Chess players aren't usually the most socially apt people, so if you are moderately comfortable in social situations you'll be fine. Most of the players are usually pretty decent but all skill levels are represented. There are usually a few old timers, a few 20 somethings and maybe ...[text shortened]... ience. As long as you want to play chess, just go and have fun and there will be no problem.
    That's good to know that there is a range of ages.
  10. back in business
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 06:38

oh cmon. just go. I joined when I was 15, and the next youngest player was about 25 at the time, while about 90% were +50 y.o
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 17:19
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    oh cmon. just go. I joined when I was 15, and the next youngest player was about 25 at the time, while about 90% were +50 y.o
    And look how you turned out 😉.
  12. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 06:06
    I hope you check out the chess club sometime, 'tis a really nice place. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree